I Caved!!

Scrappile

I have been a hold out on the Pegas clamps for my Seyco.  I have never had a problem with the original clamps on it or the Excalibur I use to own.  But, I have read so many comment of the Pegas miracle clamps,,, I finally had a weak moment and purchased a set.  I purchased from QTE North America out of Calif.  They were a little cheaper than any where else.  Saved a couple bucks.  I received good service from them, I think.  I also ordered some blades while I was at it and they sent the wrong blades.  I called and they are working on correcting that.  Didn't have the ones I wanted so they had to have them shipped from New Jersey.  I have not received them yet, they could be in my P.O. Box, I haven't been there for several days.

Okay I have had the clamps on my saw for over a week.  I had a minor problem installing mine. One of the bolt/nut that holds them on would not tighten down snug.  I would tighten the nut as far as I could (lock nut) and I could still turn the nut and bolt together with my fingers.  All the others fit snug.  I moved bolts/nuts around but it made no difference on the one location.. So I took the clamp off and the bushings out and compaired the length of them.  One measured a very tiny bit longer than the other.  I took a file and just ran it across the end of the bushing very lightly.  Put it back together and it worked fine.  Must have been a little burr or something.

Using the clamps is nice.  I have been cutting more than usual lately so I feel the clamps are getting a work out.  I like the lack of bulkiness the original ones have.  The clamps work smoothly.  I'm a little worried about how well the tension lever will last. It just seems frail to me, but time will tell.  I did not notice any difference in vibration of the saw.  My Seyco runs pretty smooth and has since I first fired it up.  I have had no complaints with that and do not see how it could be improved. 

I like the Pegas clamps and do feel they are an upgrade.  Not sure it is worth changing if things are working well with the original clamps, but if one really needed to replace the old clamps I would recommend spending the extra and getting the Pegas clamps.  The longer I have them on the saw, the more I seem to like them.

They sure are prettier than the original clamps........

@Bubba, the Dewalt set doesn't have a lever because it has the tension applied with the tension wheel. But, with that said, if I were to buy the Pegas clamps for my Dewalt, I'd buy the set that fits the EX type saw. I have both saws and I did put the Pegas on my Ex. I love the tension lever. So, it's a matter of what you like. But to me, I'd just set the tension wheel and leave it in one position and apply the tension with the lever. I suppose you could apply more ore less tension as needed by tweaking the tension wheel. 

6 hours ago, octoolguy said:

@Bubba, the Dewalt set doesn't have a lever because it has the tension applied with the tension wheel. But, with that said, if I were to buy the Pegas clamps for my Dewalt, I'd buy the set that fits the EX type saw. I have both saws and I did put the Pegas on my Ex. I love the tension lever. So, it's a matter of what you like. But to me, I'd just set the tension wheel and leave it in one position and apply the tension with the lever. I suppose you could apply more ore less tension as needed by tweaking the tension wheel. 

I'm not going to worry about spending the money right now. I'm getting used to setting the tension at blade changes without it.

BTW... Have I mentioned I LOVE MY  "new to me" SAW?? lol

2 minutes ago, BigBubbaG said:

I'm not going to worry about spending the money right now. I'm getting used to setting the tension at blade changes without it.

BTW... Have I mentioned I LOVE MY  "new to me" SAW?? lol

I think I recall you saying that Bubba. I don't blame you. Once you get a better saw, the whole world sort of opens up to you. I often wonder how many people got frustrated using a cheap saw and just gave up. That would be a shame. If you learn on a cheaper saw, once you get the better saw, you will just get better. My Grandfather was a master carpenter and could make anything. He designed and built all of his woodworking equipment out of whatever scrap wood he could round up. What he couldn't make, he did without. I think the only true power tool he ever bought was a Porter/Cable router when they first came out. I still have it.