Staining Question

Scrappile

I am cutting a fret picture of an animal.  I have plans of trying to stain the animal when I finish cutting it.  My question is, is there a way to prevent the stain from getting on the border, where the picture is connected to the border?  It is one piece of wood and you do not cut it free of the border so how do I prevent that stain from seeping over into the border?  If it were paint I could do it with tape, but stain may seep under the tape... I think I will be using gel stain, which may help some.

I guess I could cut if free of the border, stain it and then glue it back, but I prefer not to.

Yes.  It is actually it is pretty simple.  Here is a boxer plaque I did.  It is a pattern by Judy Gale Roberts.  The dark area around the mouth and eyes are walnut stain.  The rest of the face is 1/4" plain maple plywood.  I used a fine point wood burning tool to draw/burn around the area that is to be stained.  You have to go deep enough to break top layer of wood fibers.  A sharp razor knife will accomplish the same thing.  Once you have your line I just used a small brush to apply the stain.

boxer.jpg