How to Double Scrollsaw Blade Life!

teachnlearn

Why go to all the trouble of making the auxiliary table to the same shape as the original table top, doesn't have to be.  Cut a notch for the clamp leave the table top a rectangle.  New teeth plus a bigger table top... 

@Rockytime why can't you do this as a bottom feeder?

What you don't get is the reverse teeth in you were using a reverse teeth blade.  Just means more fuzzies to clean up.

I have used this method for years. Especially when cutting our native hard woods, the teeth blunt really quickly. I have found that it is not so successful on spirals though as when they are blunt they are just about buggered and by lifting up the table I only get another couple of minutes before they break.
I have a 3/4" table cut slightly over size and the same shape as my Dewalt. It has a build up around the bottom so it fits snugly on the original table and dosen't move. For the Ex21 I just use an over sized piece of 3/4" melamine MDF and a couple of baby clamps to hold it in place.

IF, one uses the flying Dutchman Ultra Reverse blades.. the simplest thing one can do is simply put the blade in upside down and use the other end.. you still get reverse teeth as they run throughout the length of the blade anyway.. It may cut slightly slower due to the fact the in the saw the correct way i believe they have two teeth down and one up.. reversing it will give you two up one down, LOL.. but.. sharp teeth.. 

Like the others.. I simply toss a blade out as they are pretty cheep when buying bulk.. I might not do this if I was buying at $8 a dozen from the hardware store though... Makes a big difference in price.. and many many people do not know about gross buying.. 

Depending what type of project you are cutting you can accomplish a similar result by cutting 3/4" off the bottom of the blade reinstall and readjust the tension.   Not recommended for cutting where a perfectly perpendicular cut is required like for puzzles for example.   I had a situation one time where I had some blades breaking off almost immediately  about 1/4 - 3/8 inch from the end of the blade.   I decided to try putting one back in the clamp and adjust the tension and try again and it worked great for the type of cutting I was doing.