Material for an exterior sign.

Wilson142

There is a sheet material called MDO (medium density overlay), not to be confused with MDF.  This is specifically made for outside sign applications.  I've never used it, but I think it's sort of expensive and not something you will find at the local Big Box.  If you know of any commercial sign making businesses in your area, you might check with them.  Otherwise Google is your guide.  For a piece that small, probably not cost effective to buy a whole sheet of MDO.

If MDO isn't practical, then a good quality, exterior grade plywood would work fine.  This is not the same as treated or "Wolmanized" plywood.  Again, you won't find it at most Big Box stores.  You will likely have to get it from a full service lumber supplier.  As long as it's well painted, it should hold up well.  I made a sign for a friends daycare business about 8 or 9 years ago.  Last I was by, it still looked like it was holding up.  I just used exterior grade plywood and several coats of exterior paint.  Personally, I would recommend just using a really good exterior paint and skip the Marine Spar Varnish.   Make sure you cover all the edges with at least 1 or 2 extra coats.

I have made some outdoor signs. I have used white oak, cedar and Ipe. They have held up well. For the size your looking for I doubt it would be cost effective  though. Bill mentioned exterior plywood which would be a good choice. The biggest thing is to make sure it is sealed very well . 

I may go big box store cedar or oak and glue up thicker material. I'm not looking for cost effective material because the sign is a gift to someone I have not met yet.

I live in an adult community and every day I past by a home on the way to the dog park that celebrates every holiday imaginable in a big way. They go all out on Halloween, Cinco de Mayo, St. Pats day etc. as well as the major winter holidays. It always puts a smile on my face when I pass by. I was told they have no other hobbies, no family etc. and rent several storage units to house their decorations. I decided I'd like to gift them the sign that says "Witch Parking Only! All Others Will Be Toad". I always liked that pattern but, I have no use for it myself. Thought it would be a nice ice breaker.

I rarely sell anything I cut. I prefer to gift things. That allows me to cut the things I like instead of what I think will sell. I was widowed a year ago and needed something to keep me occupied so I bought a DW788 and have gotten back into scrolling. Great for the soul!

8 hours ago, Wilson142 said:

I may go big box store cedar or oak and glue up thicker material. I'm not looking for cost effective material because the sign is a gift to someone I have not met yet.

I live in an adult community and every day I past by a home on the way to the dog park that celebrates every holiday imaginable in a big way. They go all out on Halloween, Cinco de Mayo, St. Pats day etc. as well as the major winter holidays. It always puts a smile on my face when I pass by. I was told they have no other hobbies, no family etc. and rent several storage units to house their decorations. I decided I'd like to gift them the sign that says "Witch Parking Only! All Others Will Be Toad". I always liked that pattern but, I have no use for it myself. Thought it would be a nice ice breaker.

I rarely sell anything I cut. I prefer to gift things. That allows me to cut the things I like instead of what I think will sell. I was widowed a year ago and needed something to keep me occupied so I bought a DW788 and have gotten back into scrolling. Great for the soul!

I'm sorry for your loss. RJF