Baskets

savethebeer

Just done 2 baskets just to see how they worked. It was the same Steve Good pattern. First one was MDF and the second was from a pine seat so very soft wood. Neither ended up with enough of a drop at 4 degrees. I'm just about to redo the pine one having re-adjusted the blade to 5 degrees, by following the top cut line, meaning the bottom cut will be getting just a close shave which hopefully will give a bigger drop.

The basket patterns that I have, all have the spiral cut starting at the outside and working inwards. Is there any issue if I started at the inside and worked outwards, having adjusted the blade to the other 5 degree angle? [its easier to do it than describe it] The reason I ask is I found my right fore arm muscles complaining a lot about the angle I was working at, I had to rest several times and I just want to see if me left arm would have as bad a problem with the constant rotating of the wood.

Bob

Edited by savethebeer

If you want more drop you want less of an angle not more. Instead of 4 try 3. When doing those spiral baskets you do get tired in both your hands and also the eyes because they go in circles for some time. Just need to lessen your grip and back off your pushing. Helps if using good sharp blades too. Good luck. I made hundreds of those type spiral baskets over the years. I found a #7 blade at 3 degrees worked well for me and I always used hardwoods such as oak, walnut and mahogany and maple.

The only issue with cutting the spiral inside to outside vs outside to inside is that the bowl will go the wrong direction. That probably won't matter, just flip the bowl over. You could adjust for it by tilting the cut to the other side.

3 hours ago, teachnlearn said:

Never cut a collapsing basket. Do the angles tilt to the left or right? RJF

You can cut either way just flip it over. I cut mine with table tilted down on left side and cut counterclockwise. Unless I start in the center than cut clockwise. Hows that for sawing in any direction.😀

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN