Sketch up 3D software, free or paid

teachnlearn

Spent years in various professional fields, one was electronic engineering. I had to learn Computer Assisted Design, CAD, in college and a variety of them to create engineering projects. Now a days they have CAD software for every engineering field and they even function to simulate the circuit, running car, rocket, missile. These CAD packages are very pricey so except for a few rich builders, few can afford them at home. I still do some design on a bench, but don't have the software.

One software package I came across for a variety of fields is called 'Sketchup'.  https://www.sketchup.com/plans-and-pricing#for-personal

Its unique that a rectangle can be created and grabbed and pushed to a 3d block. Then a area of the block selected and push in to create windows. The software has been around for years and has free and plans. It has a complete library of everything from people to lumber to circuit parts. There are also loads of tutorials. Sign up under free and get a download. Its a fun and powerful program for around the house or a full out building or cabinet design. RJF

Edited by teachnlearn

2 minutes ago, teachnlearn said:

Check it out again and look for the library. Thousands of designers have donated designs. Seen people plan out woodshops, home furniture by using the library online. RJF

I will have to do that. My problem right now is that I'm trying desperately to learn Inkscape and I devote waaaaaay too much time to that instead of going out and actually cutting something for which this forum was named.