First Run On The New Hawk

kmmcrafts

12 minutes ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Kevin what kind of tweaking can you do on this saw beside moving the lower clamp to get a more aggressive cutting action?? What did you do that caused more vibration?? Interesting.

11 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Kevin, I'd be interested in knowing what "adjustments" and "tuning" you are doing. If you don't mind going over them, maybe some of us would benefit.

I haven't done anything to the saw but put the legs on it and park it in the parking spot.. then while cutting I notice the front cam lever was squeaking when I put tension or release tension.. so then realize the fine folks at Bushton never lubed the lube points on the saw.. so I started messing with things.. i did have to adjust the set screws in the blade clamps.. both top and bottom was not in far enough and bent the blade that came with the saw.. so I guess that was actually the first thing I did.. Then it was running pretty smooth but not as smooth as my other saws.. since I hadn't really done any kind of leg / foot adjustments I messed with those.. and something happen and made it worst.. so I need to look into it and recheck the feet on the bottom.. I had trouble getting to the back ones to get them tight.. the saw is against the wall and right next to a workbench on one side and the other Hawk right next to it.. so I have to crawl through a maze of saws to get back there to those back legs, LOL.. I just was done messing with it and needed to get my daily quota cut.. so moved to the other Hawk to finish up some work..

Will say that.. I'm just not as impressed with the company.. saw seems great so far.. but no lube on a new saw to a new customer.. If they don't want to lube the thing..they could at least send a sample can of the " special dry tool lube" that they recommend so one would know what to buy.. I had some stuff I bought for the other saws.. but it may be old and not working like it should because I used that and it helped for a few cuts then started squeaking again.. so then I just used a drop of 3 in one oil like is recommended for the old Hawks.. since my can of dry lube was about gone.. maybe it wasn't shook up good enough over the coarse of using it and they only thing left in the can was the liquid part of it, ? don't know.. will get another can though..  

2 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

I haven't done anything to the saw but put the legs on it and park it in the parking spot.. then while cutting I notice the front cam lever was squeaking when I put tension or release tension.. so then realize the fine folks at Bushton never lubed the lube points on the saw.. so I started messing with things.. i did have to adjust the set screws in the blade clamps.. both top and bottom was not in far enough and bent the blade that came with the saw.. so I guess that was actually the first thing I did.. Then it was running pretty smooth but not as smooth as my other saws.. since I hadn't really done any kind of leg / foot adjustments I messed with those.. and something happen and made it worst.. so I need to look into it and recheck the feet on the bottom.. I had trouble getting to the back ones to get them tight.. the saw is against the wall and right next to a workbench on one side and the other Hawk right next to it.. so I have to crawl through a maze of saws to get back there to those back legs, LOL.. I just was done messing with it and needed to get my daily quota cut.. so moved to the other Hawk to finish up some work..

Will say that.. I'm just not as impressed with the company.. saw seems great so far.. but no lube on a new saw to a new customer.. If they don't want to lube the thing..they could at least send a sample can of the " special dry tool lube" that they recommend so one would know what to buy.. I had some stuff I bought for the other saws.. but it may be old and not working like it should because I used that and it helped for a few cuts then started squeaking again.. so then I just used a drop of 3 in one oil like is recommended for the old Hawks.. since my can of dry lube was about gone.. maybe it wasn't shook up good enough over the coarse of using it and they only thing left in the can was the liquid part of it, ? don't know.. will get another can though..  

Now, picture a guy with 25 more years on his 220 lb. frame crawling under his saw to do what you described. My saw is between my workbench and the wall and in a corner to boot. So far, I only notice vibration on the Hawk in the upper RPM ranges. If I stay in the "7-9" range on the dial, it purrs. I haven't done any lube work yet with the exception of the rear tension lever/wedge/arm. I was going to ask you about using some of my Howes oil on the bearings. Do I need to do anything to the bearings on the drive arm coming off the motor? My saw was built somewhere between 2001-5 and sat for most of those years since.

25 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Now, picture a guy with 25 more years on his 220 lb. frame crawling under his saw to do what you described. My saw is between my workbench and the wall and in a corner to boot. So far, I only notice vibration on the Hawk in the upper RPM ranges. If I stay in the "7-9" range on the dial, it purrs. I haven't done any lube work yet with the exception of the rear tension lever/wedge/arm. I was going to ask you about using some of my Howes oil on the bearings. Do I need to do anything to the bearings on the drive arm coming off the motor? My saw was built somewhere between 2001-5 and sat for most of those years since.

The bearing in the drive arm that connects the motor to the lower arm are sealed bearings.. That said mine the grease was either never there or.. dried up from sitting since 1998 until two years ago when i got it, LOL.. I'm not sure what happen but mine created a vibration and it ended up being the bearings in that piece of flat stock.. I took the big block off the end of the motor as that has a bearing in it too.. however it's a pressed fit bearing that is like a wheel bearing on a car sealed good sized bearing and seemed to spin smooth so i didn't mess with it on mine.. 

8 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

The bearing in the drive arm that connects the motor to the lower arm are sealed bearings.. That said mine the grease was either never there or.. dried up from sitting since 1998 until two years ago when i got it, LOL.. I'm not sure what happen but mine created a vibration and it ended up being the bearings in that piece of flat stock.. I took the big block off the end of the motor as that has a bearing in it too.. however it's a pressed fit bearing that is like a wheel bearing on a car sealed good sized bearing and seemed to spin smooth so i didn't mess with it on mine.. 

Thanks, I'll go from there.