Installed my Pegas chuck on my Ex21

Blaughn

I installed my Pegas chuck yesterday.  Some impressions and observations - first the good:

1.  Nice piece of engineering and manufacturing.  Everything about it screams quality.
2.  The tensioning lever employs a superior means of tensioning.  No need for constant grease to slow down the wear of the Teflon eccentric cam lever.  A drop of oil will suffice for a year.
3.  It definitely reduces vibration.
4.  The slot that fits over the articulating arms was milled to the same width as the Excalibur chuck.  Annodization adds thickness of roughly 5 mils.  This means the Pegus chuck slot is 10 mils (5mils on each side) thinner than the Excalibur original.  Measured with a caliper the Pegus reduces potential side to side run-out by roughly .01"  (Think 2 pieces of paper in thickness.)  Admittedly this is not a big deal but it increases precision a bit with no risk of additional wear.

Then the bad: 
1.  No instructions.  They leave you to discover for yourself the bearing sleeves that hold the old (and new) chuck in place and how to remove them - just for starters.
2.  (Important)  The Pegus Chuck blade positions are not factory adjusted for trueness between the two chucks.  The location where the set screw and the thumb nut meet within the blade slots are haphazard.  In the case of the chuck I received, the top chuck's set screw and blade thumb nut met at the right side of the blade slot.  So much so that you couldn't insert a #7 blade into the chuck because the blade was too thick.  I had to back the set screw off so it sat slightly proud on the left side of the blade slot.
The bottom chuck set screw was adjusted to meet the thumb screw in the center of the chuck's blade slot.  Unadjusted, this mismatch between top and bottom chuck caused the blade to be out of true with the stroke of the saw's articulating arms.  Additionally, it wasn't as simple as adjusting the chucks to the same position.  To true the blade to the plane of the articulating arms, the upper chuck needed to be closer to the left edge of the slot.  The bottom chuck was adjusted to the middle of the slot.  This is due to the saw, not the chuck - but it is a critical adjustment for fine tuning the installation for optimum performance.

Bottom line:

I like everything about this chuck but it is ridiculous to send it out without installation and set-up instructions.