Product review - I use to hate

JimErn

edge gluing, between not having a really large empty surface to do it on, the multiple pipe clamps, the cauls, the quick clamps, and ...

drove me batty

Saw this and gambled, it works!

4 Way Pressure Clamp For Clamping Panels

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073QSF8JR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Heavy duty steel clamps, and the rest of it is also quality goods.  I spit a 2x4 to use as the cauls and mounted the notched tracks.

I put blue painters tape on the cauls to prevent them from being glued to the panel, that worked, I am wondering if wax paper would have been better?  the tape did stick to the panel in one spot.

And my new jointer works great too (maybe its me but I think it ought to be called an edger instead)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q0I8YU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EDIT:  I figure someone will ask, that is a 20"wide x 24" panel

20190327_110211.jpg

Edited by JimErn

I have that same jointer but the Delta version.. The VS switch went out.. and its a circuit board type thing.. so the part is NLA from Delta but is for the PC.. but t a price of around $150, LOL.. I never used the VS on it. so I wired the thing direct and bypassed the VS garbage.. use that thing an awful lot more than I ever thought I would.. I don't use it for a planer.. only an edger LOL.. If I need a smooth surface on the face of the board I have a planer for that..

I like those clamps, but wow, I'd have to do a lot of glue ups to justify the cost.  You would have buy at least two sets.  Then again, maybe if I had them I would to more glue ups...  Maybe I can place some hints to my kids.  They are always wanting to know what I want at Christmas.  I always give the good answer, "just to spend time with my kids".  Next your I will say "stay home but send me a set of those clamps"!!

26 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

I like those clamps, but wow, I'd have to do a lot of glue ups to justify the cost.  You would have buy at least two sets.  Then again, maybe if I had them I would to more glue ups...  Maybe I can place some hints to my kids.  They are always wanting to know what I want at Christmas.  I always give the good answer, "just to spend time with my kids".  Next your I will say "stay home but send me a set of those clamps"!!

That link I posted is two sets, if you need more there are sellers selling one set individually on amazon too.

I do it much easier with the kids and the wife, create a wish list, or two or three, add amazon products to the wish list, make it public send the kids a link to it.

I also have one titled "Jim-do not buy" where I just put interesting things I run across, or see in a post or blog

I have been using these for most my career in woodworking and they are great. Applys just the right amount of pressure and easy to use. Different brand but same principle. The original maker of these was knocked off so many times. He sued a couple makers but I guess it got out of hand and not worth it any more.  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TXSAHU/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B003TXSAHU&pd_rd_w=qwgCZ&pf_rd_p=733540df-430d-45cd-9525-21bc15b0e6cc&pd_rd_wg=baCOQ&pf_rd_r=6KZJ

16 hours ago, Heli_av8tor said:

Looks interesting.

What is the thinnest stock it will clamp without adding spacers between the stock and clamp rails?

Tom

The glue up I showed is 1/2 and I had to add a 1/8 piece of ply under one caul on top.  That was so that the part that presses on the edge of the boards would center