Dust tray

Smitty

46 minutes ago, Foxfold said:

Am I the odd one out? I don't have any dust 'under' my saw at least none that I've noticed. I have a vacuum attached that takes the majority of dust away and a box beside me to put the pieces that I cut out.

No, actually you are doing it as recommended.

When I find a fairly quiet, economical vacuum, I will probably do that too.  I have the radio turned on when scrolling, helps me to allow the scrolling part become more automatic (or so I tell myself).

I keep thinking I will build a "dog house" outside for the vacuum, and just bring in power and hose through the wall, but I never seem to get around to it.

1 hour ago, JimErn said:

I keep thinking I will build a "dog house" outside for the vacuum, and just bring in power and hose through the wall, but I never seem to get around to it.

Aaah, maybe that's why. The vacuum to my saw is in another room as you say with a set of pipes criss crossing the workshop, I just close all the valves except the one leading to my saw...

I have cigar boxes under both of my saws.  I have dust collecting so there is very little dust, but I do throw the small cutout scrap pieces it them as I go just to help keep them off the floor.  Got to do something with all the cigar boxes I collected when I was in the cigar box guitar making phase of my life.

Edited by Scrappile

When I was sawing in the house years ago.. I used a old cardboard box and taped it to the saw stand on the DeWalt..  That dust doesn't seem to fall in my lap and on the floor with my older Hawks.. something that I really liked about them.. Not true with the new Hawk though.. and the EX, DeWalt etc.. I run the shop vac to the port on the EX lately and I never get much dust at all on the floor or my lap.. LOL.. Downfall to that is that the shop vac is a big powerful one and sucks the board to the table...😂 who needs a hold down foot when you have a suction device 😂 ... and also the other issue is the noise.. Hoping to buy a quieter vac soon.. and pipe some fittings for the Hawks..

I was at Scrappiles and he offered to give me cigar box. I didn't think I would use it so I declined. After looking at my saw for a while I decided it was a great idea. I built one out of wood scraps and added a six inch sloping piece to the front to make the saw dust fall in the box. I can't believe how much saw dust this catches. After three days cutting it had at least an inch of dust in it. the box is about 10x10in. I don't have dust collection so it really helps.  Thanks Paul for the tip. 

grizz