Dust Collection Gates

Rockytime

I have three gates on my DC. They are plastic which I got from Woodcraft. They are terrible. The diaphragm is sticky. The do not close completely and jam. One gate does close completely but two do not requiring me to use desperate measures. I' just wondering what others use for gates. There is a tennis court in our back yard and we have a bucket full of tennis balls.

1-20190405_134737.jpg

2-20190405_134727.jpg

3-20190405_134747.jpg

I use those gates and at one time was suppose to change to metal ones but never did. What happens is dirt and debris get caught in the corners causing them to not close all the way. You need to clean them out with a thin piece of wire now and then. As far as not sliding well use some dry silicon lubricant and they will close easily. Same stuff you put on tablesaw mechanics. Not the most efficient set-up on the run of that system for sure. Alot of suction power lost.

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

I buy the cheap plastic gates all the time. Tennis balls work OK for the smaller diameter hoses, but my dust collector works on 5" and 4" piping to the major tools. The scroll saw, drill press and a couple of smaller sanders get the 2.5" hoses.

To keep your gates from clogging, cut the ends of the gates. That way the gate pushes the sawdust right out the end of the gate and never blocks the gate.  If the gate is getting a little sticky, some dry silicone spray does the trick.

gate-1.jpg

gate-2.jpg

Edited by tgiro
spelling

3 hours ago, trackman said:

I have noticed that the suction will pull up on the gate and make a seal. 

That is good. Have to ask then why have they not made gates like this with the back end open?? Debris is something that plagues  just about all gates systems. The best gates are ones with rounded corners. 

2 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

That is good. Have to ask then why have they not made gates like this with the back end open?? Debris is something that plagues  just about all gates systems. The best gates are ones with rounded corners. 

They do make open ended gates, but the slide is a little longer. https://www.ptreeusa.com/dust_blastgates.html

You'll note that the price is about double the cost of the regular gate. I haven't had any problems with mine so I just get the cheap ones & cut them off.

I did think about making my own out of 1/2" ply, but the cost of the wood was just as great if not more than the cheap gates.

2 hours ago, tgiro said:

They do make open ended gates, but the slide is a little longer. https://www.ptreeusa.com/dust_blastgates.html

You'll note that the price is about double the cost of the regular gate. I haven't had any problems with mine so I just get the cheap ones & cut them off.

I did think about making my own out of 1/2" ply, but the cost of the wood was just as great if not more than the cheap gates.

There are some videos out there of people making them from plastics and some from wood. My point was before many people start cutting the backs off to try one and see if you like it before you start doing a bunch.