Hawk Blade Vibration

Rockytime

This is not exactly a problem for me but more of a curiosity. The saw cuts well but prior to starting the cut I can see my blade moving slightly in a left to right movement. Very slight but enough yo recognizw. I don't have a problem but then I don't do real fret work. Is this unusual for the Hawk? And how do I correct it if it is?

I'll bet the top and bottom blade clamps aren't in sync with each other. It only takes a fraction for this to happen. If you do any 3-D scrolling you'll know really quick. The blade has to be at a perfect 90º to the table. It requires moving the set screw on both blade clamps so the blade is perfectly vertical. If you have already done that, something else is amiss. Possibly a bent arm or worn bearings/bushings.

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

I'll bet the top and bottom blade clamps aren't in sync with each other. It only takes a fraction for this to happen. If you do any 3-D scrolling you'll know really quick. The blade has to be at a perfect 90º to the table. It requires moving the set screw on both blade clamps so the blade is perfectly vertical. If you have already done that, something else is amiss. Possibly a bent arm or worn bearings/bushings.

Very easy to check. Lay a machinist square next to the blade and move the arm up and down and watch the space between. Also take a block of wood and draw a straight line on it and place behind the blade and again move the arm up and down and watch the blade. These are the basic checks for all saws.  If they are out move the table or move the set screws. Most likely the table got bumped. Most tables pivot on a single point so easy to move out of alignment.  

2 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Very easy to check. Lay a machinist square next to the blade and move the arm up and down and watch the space between. Also take a block of wood and draw a straight line on it and place behind the blade and again move the arm up and down and watch the blade. These are the basic checks for all saws.  If they are out move the table or move the set screws. Most likely the table got bumped. Most tables pivot on a single point so easy to move out of alignment.  

Yeah, that too. Thanks JT.

22 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Ray, I think you nailed it. The screws in the clamps could definitely be adjusted to make micro movements to reduce the movement. It is so minor I think I will not bother.

49 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

Ray, I think you nailed it. The screws in the clamps could definitely be adjusted to make micro movements to reduce the movement. It is so minor I think I will not bother.

It's an easy adjustment to make Les. I like to have stuff "spot" on. Sort of like working on a clock.