How I Make My Beeswax / Mineral Oil Finish

kmmcrafts

2 minutes ago, Dave Monk said:

Kevin, How would it work on puzzle pieces? Would it be to much work?

Yeah I used it on my puzzles when I made them.. but it is more work than just dipping them in the mineral oil as Iggy ( Scott ) does.. I do like the silky smooth feel to the wood that the beeswax mix gives.. But.. If I were doing as many puzzles as Iggy I'd not want to do it this way unless my puzzles was priced at $50+ each.. LOL.. In the warmer months when the Danish oil dries out quicker and better.. I use that.. unless a piece is ordered and needs to get mailed out ASAP.. then I use the wax mix.. The colder months I use the wax mix because i can apply it at my dinning table.. no smells not really any drying times.. I've put the wax on in early morning and mailed out pieces early afternoon... so it's awesome in that aspect.. 

On items that I make that go to my inventory bins and sit for 6-12 months... I can clearly tell what pieces are Danish oil and what is the wax mix.. The Danish oil dries out and the fret cuts are dry and rough looking / feeling.. the wax mix looks just as good as it did when I put it in the bin with it's soft low sheen look and silky feeling still.. I've sometimes put the wax mix on pieces that was finished with Danish oil to sort of freshen them up before mailing them out.. My wife tells me I should just charge more and make this my main finish.. rather than being in a hurry and just dipping in the Danish oil.. I may just do that once my gallon of Danish oil is gone..

• 1 month later...

I just made up a batch. I used it on my church pattern. I really, really, like this finish. A soft, rich luster. Thanks for the recipe. I did however, cut the recipe in half. I'm sure this batch will last me quite awhile.

It was taking forever to shred the wax with a cheese grater, so I used a utility knife. Much quicker. Just an FYI, for anyone interested in making this recipe  

1 hour ago, Gonzo said:

I just made up a batch. I used it on my church pattern. I really, really, like this finish. A soft, rich luster. Thanks for the recipe. I did however, cut the recipe in half. I'm sure this batch will last me quite awhile.

It was taking forever to shred the wax with a cheese grater, so I used a utility knife. Much quicker. Just an FYI, for anyone interested in making this recipe  

Hey thanks for your report.. I always wondered if anyone ever made any to try from my video... or was it just a waist of my time.. I get asked all the time what finish I use etc.. but nobody ever reports back if they did it... Thought the video might help.. but still until now never really got any feedback..

This finish does give the best look to the wood that I have ever tried.. also makes the wood feel smoother.  

I've never used this before and will try it.   The food grade mineral oil is pretty expensive and really a rip off.  Go to Walmart, pharmacy area and buy the medical grade oil. read the label it's just as good and where I'm from it's not even $2.00.  It can bee used for cutting boards too.

54 minutes ago, Fish said:

I've never used this before and will try it.   The food grade mineral oil is pretty expensive and really a rip off.  Go to Walmart, pharmacy area and buy the medical grade oil. read the label it's just as good and where I'm from it's not even $2.00.  It can bee used for cutting boards too.

Yes that is actually what I use.. I said food grade but it's actually medical grade.. But I thought it said food grade on the bottle too.. either way I pay $1.78 for the bottle and the beeswax is relatively cheap for the amount 1 batch uses.. so for less than $12 a year.. I finish most all my products.. as a little goes a long way..

39 minutes ago, JimErn said:

Maybe I missed it or I am just confused, the mixture does it cool to a paste or stay liquid?

Wipe on and wipe off, or wipe on and polish?

Thanks for the video

Let it cool and it'll set up to a loose paste type wax.. I brush it on with a acid brush let it set for a while.. then I use heat ( hair dryer  ) to sort of melt it back down and let it soak up into the pores of the wood.. then wipe off excess with paper towels..

Edited by kmmcrafts