Cuts in a pattern

sawdust1

When doing large fretwork type portraits.. I use tally marks sometimes.. most times I don't care.. but I've had a lot of customers ask.. "dang how many holes you have to drill and cut to make that? " Kinda nice to know or at least have a rough idea.. I've been known to just make up a wild number to see the look on their faces too, LOL.. But anyway.. sometimes I use the tally marks and make a mark every either 10 or 20 -25 holes I drill.. I don't drill all the holes at once in those big detailed fret pieces.. otherwise I'll never get up to move around.. sometimes just getting up and walking across the shop to the drill will keep me from getting too stiff just sitting there. LOL 

I dont have my computer to check, but I think this might be a thing...

I think if you import an image into inkscape and convert it to vector it will break the image into a bunch of pieces. If you do that to a pattern all of the black cut away parts separate, if you select all of them it should tell you how many there are.

27 minutes ago, MrsN said:

I dont have my computer to check, but I think this might be a thing...

I think if you import an image into inkscape and convert it to vector it will break the image into a bunch of pieces. If you do that to a pattern all of the black cut away parts separate, if you select all of them it should tell you how many there are.

Hi Katie, Hi Bob
Katie's answer puts you on the right track
bring your pattern into Inkscape, do a TRACE BITMAP, BREAK APART then select the parts that need to be drilled
this will bring you very close to how many you have to do - I just tried this so I know it works...lol
I think I just said what Katie  said but in different terms - thanks Katie
Fab4