Dragon Box

DWSUDEKUM

I really like that. How much clay did you have to use? I am asking because this is giving me all kinds of ideas and I need to figure out if they are feasable or not.

Chris the clay is quite resonable in price. I got a small package 1/2" thick and 1 1/2" wide and 2" tall for a couple of bucks at Michaels ( craft store ) I used basically one package of the green clay and just a small portion of the black clay. There are all kinds of sites out there Chris on how to work with this clay. It is simple to work with and easy to store that which you do not use right away. One word of caution if you use a regular oven and use a baking pan that baking pan is no longer food safe so you will need to seperate it from any others.

DW

I did some research on it and I priced it at our Michaels today. I was really interested in how much clay it took (which you answered). I will probably get a simple toaster oven which can be picked up for next to nothing.

When you press it in do you need to leave some "overhang" or "pressout" (what ever you want to call it, so it stays in place? or does it stay in place when the clay is flush on both sides? And is there any shrinkage to the clay when it is dried?

I did some research on it and I priced it at our Michaels today. I was really interested in how much clay it took (which you answered). I will probably get a simple toaster oven which can be picked up for next to nothing.

When you press it in do you need to leave some "overhang" or "pressout" (what ever you want to call it, so it stays in place? or does it stay in place when the clay is flush on both sides? And is there any shrinkage to the clay when it is dried?

Chris,

I usually leave it a little higher than the board I filled after baking I just sand it down to the board surface. It seems to stay in place when packed in good... you need to make sure it is packed into the nooks and crannies and I have not seen any shrinkage when baking.

DW

• 2 weeks later...

I gave this a try the other day.

I was cutting an inlay of my daughter's name for the lid of a trinkit box, I was left with a piece of wood with the letters cut out of it. then I rememberd this thread, went to wolly world (walmart) and bought some of this clay. mashed it into the letters and cooked it. I found it actaully expanded slightly after baking.

I think it was surprisingly easy to use, sanded easy and worked well with a polycrylic clear coat.

Thanks for making this post, I can see lots of uses for this.

Mike