New King 21" Saw

So I broke down and bought this brand new King 21" scroll saw today.  For the past few years I've had a Delta 40-694 of which I've felt was a very good saw.  The Delta still runs just fine, however it has a lot of hours on it and lately I couldn't help but worry that it might break and I'd be without a saw.  So I started researching new saws and saving up some money.  I decided on the King for a couple simple reasons.  Probably the biggest of which is the WoodCraft store in Orlando had one in store that I was able to go in and look at and get a feel for.  It's a pricey investment, however I'm hoping it's one that lasts me a very long time, many cutting hours and many wonderful projects.  I've spent about 3 hours cutting on it so far and I have to say I'm very impressed.  There is almost no vibration and it runs so quietly even compared to my Delta which I've never thought to be a noisy saw.  The top blade clamp, while not all that different from the Delta, has taken me a bit of getting used to, but I think I'm getting there.  So far I'm very happy with this purchase.

NewKingScrollSaw.jpg

7 hours ago, rjweb said:

Congratulations on the new toy, I really like that light you have, I am going to see about getting one, RJ 

This is a link to the light.  It does a very good job of lighting my cutting surface.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FIYJXAQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

6 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

How do you know what blade is what in those tubes? I don't see any markings in the tubes.. I have a little dymo label maker that I made up stickers so i know what blade tube is what...

The blade size is written on the side of the tube with red paint marker, but in the picture it dosen't show up for some reason.  A label maker is a good idea though, I might have to pick one up soon.  I also have the blades in the slots in order of on the left of the machine is spirals from smallest to largest and right of the machine is straight blades smallest to largest and all of my blades are Flying Dutchman so no need to separate by brand. 

2 minutes ago, TripleJScroller said:

This is a link to the light.  It does a very good job of lighting my cutting surface.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FIYJXAQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The blade size is written on the side of the tube with red paint marker, but in the picture it dosen't show up for some reason.  A label maker is a good idea though, I might have to pick one up soon.  I also have the blades in the slots in order of on the left of the machine is spirals from smallest to largest and right of the machine is straight blades smallest to largest and all of my blades are Flying Dutchman so no need to separate by brand. 

Okay.. well before spending money for a label maker.. mine wouldn't stick very well on the tubes.. so I ended up taping them on with scotch tape.. which worked very well.. but I wouldn't buy a label maker just to do this.. Just print or hand wright it on some strips of paper and tape it.. save money for more scrolling wood, LOL

I also line mine up as you do.. but I have FD blades on the left side and Pegas on the right side.. 

1 hour ago, kmmcrafts said:

Okay.. well before spending money for a label maker.. mine wouldn't stick very well on the tubes.. so I ended up taping them on with scotch tape.. which worked very well.. but I wouldn't buy a label maker just to do this.. Just print or hand wright it on some strips of paper and tape it.. save money for more scrolling wood, LOL

I also line mine up as you do.. but I have FD blades on the left side and Pegas on the right side.. 

I put the labels on the inside of the tubes that come with the blades. Anything on the outside makes the tubes fatter and they don't fit as well.

46 minutes ago, Norm Fengstad said:

I have been looking at the 21 inch Excelsor which is made by King and sold here in Canada for $1000.00 ( about $750 U.S). looks like it is the same saw. Glad to hear the positive comments

Norm, You might want to look at a Pegas. I got one and love it. Love the blade clamps.

52 minutes ago, Dave Monk said:

Norm, You might want to look at a Pegas. I got one and love it. Love the blade clamps.

I had thought about the Pegas myself, however I'm not at all a patient person and the thought of waiting a month or more to receive my saw just wasn't going to work for me...lol.  Not to mention I really didn't like the idea of spending that much money on something that I'd never been able to inspect in person.  I figure down the road I can always put the Pegas clamps on my saw, however right now I'm perfectly happy with the clamps on the saw so it's not something I'm worried about anytime soon, though I might buy a set for my Delta as the knob on that saw is pretty worn and in need of replacing.

The pegas saw looks great and would be a consideration but haven't found a distributer here in Canada. Bear Woods from Langely British Columbia bring the Pegas in for their American customers are not able to provide for us here in Canada. I could order it and have it shipped to a mail/ package handling provider close to the border to hold for pick up but I am 10 hours away from the border but am considering it

On 4/22/2019 at 9:34 AM, TripleJScroller said:

I had thought about the Pegas myself, however I'm not at all a patient person and the thought of waiting a month or more to receive my saw just wasn't going to work for me...lol.  Not to mention I really didn't like the idea of spending that much money on something that I'd never been able to inspect in person.  I figure down the road I can always put the Pegas clamps on my saw, however right now I'm perfectly happy with the clamps on the saw so it's not something I'm worried about anytime soon, though I might buy a set for my Delta as the knob on that saw is pretty worn and in need of replacing.

And the first thing out of people mouths when they see work we do... " you must have a lot of patience to do that intricate work "  yes I agree tremendous amounts to make pieces but not for waiting for a new toy / tool to arrive, LOL

8 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

And the first thing out of people mouths when they see work we do... " you must have a lot of patience to do that intricate work "  yes I agree tremendous amounts to make pieces but not for waiting for a new toy / tool to arrive, LOL

So very true.  My Wife says I'm the most impatient person she knows, yet I can sit at my saw and scroll for hours on end.  I don't think patience is so necessary when your doing something you love.  I had a friend who wanted to get into scrolling so I invited him over and gave him a quick basic lesson and sat him at my saw, after about five cuts he told me he was bored and that he realized he don't have the patience for scrolling, yet this same guy will sit on a boat for hours waiting for a fish to bite.  I think one's patience is relevant to their enjoyment of an activity.  Sorry that was a bit long winded way to say "I love to scroll."  LOL