Berry Basket Pattern Source?

kmmcrafts

Anyone know if of anyplace selling the berry basket patterns? Someone messaged me on my website asking if I'd sell them a pattern.. Not doing that but I would send them where to go to get the pattern if I can find where they sell them if they do still sell them.. Pattern in question from my picture..

I bought the BIG 1800+ pattern download back around 2009 ish? when they was supposedly going out of business.. but after that I seen where someone was selling them again..

il_794xN.1577295371_6oai.jpg

3 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Well most all those patterns I have... and seem to be from the set that I have.. but the one I'm looking for isn't in any of them that I can see.. 

No one sells  all their patterns. He use to have a pattern club and those patterns never were included. The link above is for the new owners of their business. Anyone else selling their patterns is doing so illegally.  Now maybe that pattern was in one of their books so you can look for those. Or write to them or call them and they maybe able to help locate it.

Man I probably made 50% of their patterns over the years. They are what started it all for me. I remember when they first started up and they had a 4 page black and white catalog they sent out and it kept growing every year. I made my money basically cutting their patterns and selling the projects. All started with those fold up baskets. Made so many of them over the years. Still have a few left from back in the day. Refuse to sell them. Met them a few times at some scrollsaw picnics over the years. Wow brings back memories. Still make alot of their patterns. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

6 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

No one sells  all their patterns. He use to have a pattern club and those patterns never were included. The link above is for the new owners of their business. Anyone else selling their patterns is doing so illegally.  Now maybe that pattern was in one of their books so you can look for those. Or write to them or call them and they maybe able to help locate it.

Man I probably made 50% of their patterns over the years. They are what started it all for me. I remember when they first started up and they had a 4 page black and white catalog they sent out and it kept growing every year. I made my money basically cutting their patterns and selling the projects. All started with those fold up baskets. Made so many of them over the years. Still have a few left from back in the day. Refuse to sell them. Met them a few times at some scrollsaw picnics over the years. Wow brings back memories. Still make alot of their patterns. 

Yeah, my clock selling kinda started with their patterns too.. and.. many of the clocks I sell is their patterns.. I have nearly 130 clock patterns in the set I bought.. The set was supposedly their whole collection.. but I've been told it's not their whole collection but a good part of it.. I have all those basket patterns too.. plus some real intricate table top clocks.. and 3D portrait stuff.. collector plates about 100 or so of them.. LOL Lot and Lots of patterns.. many of them I want to cut.. but it's take a whole woods of trees to cut them all, LOL Best $50 I ever spent.. Not sure exactly how much the pattern set was really.. I know it was less than $100.. I almost didn't get it because they only gave a few samples of patterns.. but it was said it was the last chance before they closed up..

Kevin, as long as the pattern was in the group of patterns we bought from Berry Basket, before it was taken over by new owners. You can safely give away, or sell any of them that you want. The only patterns that we are not allowed to sell or give away out of the bunch, was the large clock ones that were at the end of the cluster we bought. If you wanted to, you could even post them all on here without repercussions. I found my copy of the original e-mail, we received back when the offer was made. I had thought that I had lost it for good, but I found it this year when I was packing things to move. So feel free to sell or to give any of them away, there's nothing that can happen to you according to the conditions of the sale. 

Len

On 4/26/2019 at 1:04 AM, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

John, believe it or not, but he did sell all of the patterns he had, he did it after he made the deal to sell Berry Basket. It was a bit underhanded of him to do so, but he did it anyway. I could only imagine how cross the new owner would be, this would have ruined any chance of him selling the patterns. Everyone who was on the mail out list for the free patterns, got this offer in their e-mail instead of a free pattern. There was about ten large size clocks included in the patterns we got, those were the only ones we weren't allowed to sell or give away. I'm surprised that no one else remembers this, there was a lot of people who got in on the deal.

Len

1 hour ago, Lucky2 said:

John, believe it or not, but he did sell all of the patterns he had, he did it after he made the deal to sell Berry Basket. It was a bit underhanded of him to do so, but he did it anyway. I could only imagine how cross the new owner would be, this would have ruined any chance of him selling the patterns. Everyone who was on the mail out list for the free patterns, got this offer in their e-mail instead of a free pattern. There was about ten large size clocks included in the patterns we got, those were the only ones we weren't allowed to sell or give away. I'm surprised that no one else remembers this, there was a lot of people who got in on the deal.

Len

I believe you but I do not remember it. Probably never paid attention because I already had most if not all his patterns. If I chose to show all the projects I made from his patterns we would run out of web space😀 I wish I had taken photos of all too but back then I did not even own a computer. I am going to at some time try to transfer my paper photos to a flashdrive so that I can save and share.

Here is a couple shelves I made many of these over the years and this project alone he had so many different designs. Then I use to make them double shelves so that they were longer or even triple shelves some people wanted. Made from different woods too. Oh the memories.

IMGP0278.JPG

IMGP0282.JPG

Copy of IMGP0286.JPG

2 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

@JTTHECLOCKMAN, those are beautiful, and to me something just have to be made out of Oak.  Shelves like you did are examples, they were meant to be made of beautiful Oak.

Thank you. Rick did alot of Victorian style patterns and back in the day oak was the wood of choice in homes for this style and that is what got me started with working with oak. I use to do this is natural and some people wanted it a bit darker so I would stain. I always used Watco Danish oil and that is what is on this. I made magazine racks which the light one was his pattern and the deer one is mine. But to show the 2 different colors I offered back then. 

656Deer_Magazine_Rack.jpg

656Heart_Magazine_Rack.jpg

5 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Thank you. Rick did alot of Victorian style patterns and back in the day oak was the wood of choice in homes for this style and that is what got me started with working with oak. I use to do this is natural and some people wanted it a bit darker so I would stain. I always used Watco Danish oil and that is what is on this. I made magazine racks which the light one was his pattern and the deer one is mine. But to show the 2 different colors I offered back then. 

656Deer_Magazine_Rack.jpg

656Heart_Magazine_Rack.jpg

JT, you mention Watco Danish oil. I use that too. I was wondering how you applied it. So far, I have just brushed it on. Is there a better way?

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

JT, you mention Watco Danish oil. I use that too. I was wondering how you applied it. So far, I have just brushed it on. Is there a better way?

Not sure how JT does it... but I use a throw away aluminum foil pan from the dollar store.. it's just a pan for like baking stuff in.. or.. I sometimes also use the plastic storage containers.. The foil pan is better for larger items though.. but the plastic container one could use the lid and just store the Danish oil in it.. But.. you'd need to use it fairly quick or it'd go bad.. 

Anyway I use these and just dip the project into the Danish oil.. depending on the wood type as to whether I let it soak up a while or just a quick dip.. I then pull out the project and set it on a pile of paper towels and drip for a few minutes.. then wipe off excess and set on another pile of paper towels... I have a fire pit and any towels that have oil on them.. I run them out and burn them so they won't catch fire... bet that make sense don't it..😂 

4 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Ray, I believe we had this conversation before but my method has been the same for over 35 years since I started doing this kind of work. I have always used Watco Danish oil and love the stuff. I have 10 year old Danish oil that is still good so in my opinion it never goes bad. If stored in an air tight container. For somethings this large I use those plastic storage containers that you see in all home centers. 32qts. I use about 3 gals in the container. I dip the piece in as i stand on edge and then use one of those home depot 99 cent brushes to slash oil in places that I can not get because of the size. I soak it very well for about 10 minutes on a piece like the shelf or magazine rack. I then take it out and place it on the lid to drain excess off. After that I wipe down with a soft cloth as an initial wipe down. Now I set it aside on some plywood I set up in the shade and let drain and dry some. After some time I go back and wipe down well. By this time all oil has drained out of all the crevices and set it aside to dry for good. No need to wipe any more or touch for a couple days. After all pieces are dipped and set aside, I pour the remaining oil back in the gallon cans using a funnel and store for the next time. I do this over and over and if I use most of the oil up I open another gallon can and start over. Now if doing small clocks and only one or two I use a much smaller plastic container but the procedure is the same except then the piece fits easily in the container so no need to brush on. Now when I made the longer shelfs I used longer storage containers. The ones you store blankets and things in. I always leave the oily rags outdoors hung over some concrete blocks in the back yard. Wipe the containers out and do the same with those towels. As I said I have been doing this for over 35 years and have it down to a system that works well for me. I have made so many items of all size and mainly used Watco Danish oil as the finish.

Now I have made many other items too where I top coated with lacquers. Then I use BLO only to pop grain and give the color but pretty much follow same steps. After dry I then lacquer. Now if doing large items or alot of items I break out the compressor and HVLP gun and shoot water based lacquer. But if items are small then rattle can Deft. I always finish outdoors. If I have to I can finish in the shop but try not too because of the smells. 

Any questions I am happy to answer. 

One thing I like to point out in case someone brings this up, is that shelve pictures are this past fall and i took those for my brother because he had someone who wanted a victorian shelf. Those shelves have to be over 20 years old because I had a few left from my shows. I stopped carrying them to the shows because they were taking up too much room on my space and they did not sell well any more. Notice there is no drying out in the fret work and the soft glow is still present in the finish. So yes Danish oil does hold up and does not need reapplying. Just saying.

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

Thanks Kevin & JT. I know we discussed finishing in the past but I couldn't recall how you actually applied Watco. I have a bunch of those cheap 1" brushes and I use one of them to brush on the oil as I don't have enough to dip my project in. I bought a foil pan to use for that purpose but so far I haven't laid out the big bucks for a gallon of oil. I will in the future. I just wanted to know how you did it. 

7 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Thanks Kevin & JT. I know we discussed finishing in the past but I couldn't recall how you actually applied Watco. I have a bunch of those cheap 1" brushes and I use one of them to brush on the oil as I don't have enough to dip my project in. I bought a foil pan to use for that purpose but so far I haven't laid out the big bucks for a gallon of oil. I will in the future. I just wanted to know how you did it. 

I do mine as you do Ray. It suits me. I don't do large quantities of cutting and a small container and a brush does me well. Probably too pernickety for those that do lots of cutting but I get by just fine doing it this way.

I would like to ask, where do you purchase your Watco Danish oil? I just looked online at Amazon, Lowes, and H/D. If I want to buy a gallon it seems to be about $50 give or take plus shipping in some cases. Am I living in the past or has this stuff gone out of sight price wise? I'd love to know where you all are buying yours and if this is the price you are paying. I realize I live in the People's Republic of California where everything costs more but is this the norm nationwide?

Been buying mine a a local lumber / craft / tool sales place.. where I get a lot of my limber and where many of my tools come from.. It had been $22 a gallon right along.. but I used to always get the quarts because I never used it all that much until they raised the price.. LOL.. I think it's now $32 a gallon.. for the last one I bought.. A gallon goes a long way.. I only use a couple gallon a year.. but then the majority of my finishing is done with the beeswax mix that I make.. and I typically make about 4 batches of that a year too.. .. also make BLO / Mineral spirits and use a gallon of that a year too.. I topcoat the BLO mix with lacquer after a few weeks of drying. but only use it on a handful of certain type of projects..

Anyway.. the Danish oil runs me about $32 a gallon... if I get the quart at the local box stores its about $16-19 so a gallon is a much smarter buy, LOL.. The Quart at the wood place that I get the gallon at I think runs $15. When I first started using the stuff.. a quart was $7 - 8 at the big box stores.. That would have been around 2005 ish  

1 hour ago, kmmcrafts said:

Been buying mine a a local lumber / craft / tool sales place.. where I get a lot of my limber and where many of my tools come from.. It had been $22 a gallon right along.. but I used to always get the quarts because I never used it all that much until they raised the price.. LOL.. I think it's now $32 a gallon.. for the last one I bought.. A gallon goes a long way.. I only use a couple gallon a year.. but then the majority of my finishing is done with the beeswax mix that I make.. and I typically make about 4 batches of that a year too.. .. also make BLO / Mineral spirits and use a gallon of that a year too.. I topcoat the BLO mix with lacquer after a few weeks of drying. but only use it on a handful of certain type of projects..

Anyway.. the Danish oil runs me about $32 a gallon... if I get the quart at the local box stores its about $16-19 so a gallon is a much smarter buy, LOL.. The Quart at the wood place that I get the gallon at I think runs $15. When I first started using the stuff.. a quart was $7 - 8 at the big box stores.. That would have been around 2005 ish  

We aren't allowed to have mineral spirits here. I guess they figure we don't know how to handle it. Sad!

They run around $32 to $35 a gallon now adays. When I bought mine they were very cheap because Watco was dicontinuing the line and Home Depot was selling out. I bought all I could in my area of stores and have been working off that since and it has to be early 2000. I paid like $5 a gallon. The public screamed to have it back on the market so they started up production again but they did not copy exact formula. I think they needed to meet EPA standards. Just a couple years ago Lowes was selling out the quart cans of Watco so I again went around buying out the old stock. The stuff does go a long way and as I said keep in air tight container will last a long time. I have proof.