Baskets

Just trying one of Steve Good's baskets.(I cut out the handle pattern and placed it around the basket pattern so I'll save on cutting) 

I've done the spiral cut of the basket then  when I tried to push the  basket out nothing moved. I then realised that the basket base had rotated with the cut. (See where the '3/4 Thick' has rotated from horizontal) When I rotated the sign back to horizontal the basket unfolded as it should, however as soon as I pushed it flat the sign rotated around again. I've done 3 baskets, 2 in MDF as a practice and a rectangular one in Cherry so this is the first circular one and this unfolding of the centre has me confused. How will I know after I strip the pattern off when I've counter rotated enough to make the basket, and it'll be disappointing to have to explain it to whoever I give it as a gift.

img_20190505_111024__daZ86.jpg

I know if I was wired up with heart and breathing sensors that everything would slow down when I'm scrolling because it is my hobby and my relaxation. However with baskets I found its totally different for me, and I think its because that spiral cut is just too long. A moments inattention and I've gone off the line and what I found was I kept going off the line in the same location in every circuit. Go figure.

Finishing.

Has anyone tried dangling the basket upside down and gently opened up the spiral cuts the wrong way, where they all dangle like a peeled orange, to allow you to spray the wood?

Bob

I too am not seeing the photo but if I understand your question I maybe able to help. You will not like the answer but will give my thoughts. I use to make a ton of those collapsible baskets designed by the Berry Basket. What I had found is that the round circle ones are more prone to recoil when cut due to the grain stress internally. When pushing the basket down you need to turn the basket  clockwise as you push down or else the basket does not unfold evenly if at all. Some woods were more prone to this than others such as oak and maples. Had little trouble with mahagony, walnut, yellowheart and canary wood. Being I sold to customers at a show I was able to show them the procedure and explain. I would have them do it there too so that they got to see what I was talking about. Nothing more you can do. At times some of them became relaxed enough due to being opened for some time that they became normal. As I said other shapes such as square, rectangle or heart shaped did not do this. 

As far as finishing again I always dipped in Danish oil so no problems there. I hope this answers your question or maybe I did not understand it. 

27 minutes ago, savethebeer said:

Thanks JT, perfect answer. My own photo does not show up on my phone. It was fine on my laptop. Simple answer is I won't make circular baskets. As for finishing does your basket rings not stick together?

No not when dipping. After I dip I let them dry in natural state and not pulled down. I wiped them off well.