Trivets / Hot Pads

aj43

1538066154_HotStuff-1.thumb.JPG.e73087c7443a0bc516a921fa62d85964.JPG

This is a revision of an old project. Years ago I tried relief carving a red oak trivet. I did not have the right tools or skills, so I set it aside for another time. Not long ago I heard my granddaughter and some of her friends were moving into an apartment for their senior year at college. Looking for something unique to give granddaughter for an "apartment warming" present I came across the old trivet. I decided maybe I could do a better job scrolling the lettering instead of carving. I used the old lettering for a pattern, dividing it into two trivets - a small one for bowls and pans, a larger one for casseroles and large pans. Trivets are 3/4" poplar stained with GF nutmeg gel stain, topcoated with clear shellac and three coats of wipe-on satin Arm-R-Seal. When I made my first trivets several years ago I worried if a hot bowl or pan would scorch the wood or melt the finish. Another woodworker had tested finishes for reactions to heat or other liquids/chemicals. Arm-R-Seal came out on top. To test it myself, I placed a single sheet of typing paper over a trivet and placed an iron on its highest setting on the trivet. After two minutes the paper was lightly scorched, but there was no damage to the trivet. The Arm-R-Seal came through with no softening or any other distress. I have kept track of those first trivets - they were given to family members - and after five years they have all weathered well with only normal wear from abrasions along the edges. All-in-all the poplar and Arm-R-Seal combination holds up well.