Need a new cordless drill

rjweb

Rigid has a great warranty my son had a few of them. One was stolen so I got him a new one. I have a DeWalt 14.4 that is over 15 years old and still going strong. I also bought the Makita 18 volt impact and drill package and love them. Light small and powerful.One thing I will say about Rigid, I have their miter saw, my fence got bent somehow. Life time Warranty and the fence is no longer available. They did say to take it to a repair center and they would work something out but living with out the saw for 4 to 6 weeks is not an option for me. Just a little food for thought. 

I have the DeWalt 20V now for about 5 years.. been a good drill..but I don't have much to say about the others.. my previous drill was a Hitachi 18V and it was about 20 years old.. Still worked great but batteries was getting hard to find and the price of the batteries was about the same as the new drill.. LOL.. That old Hitachi drill was heavy too and the battery took a long time to charge.. My deWalt charges in one hour..but last a really long time too compared to the Hitachi.. 

Currently use a Dewalt 20 volt which was a replacement for the Dewalt 18. The main problem with any is that the batteries go bad and replacements are just as expensive as the whole package on sale (which happens 3 or 4 times a year). So the lifetime guarantee  on Rigid batteries intrigues me. Then again, if I can use the corded drill (which I have one that is 50 years old, another 15 years), I will. Would shy away from Hitachi because I had the charger and battery melt in the charging process.

8 hours ago, WayneMahler said:

Rigid has a great warranty my son had a few of them. One was stolen so I got him a new one. I have a DeWalt 14.4 that is over 15 years old and still going strong. I also bought the Makita 18 volt impact and drill package and love them. Light small and powerful.One thing I will say about Rigid, I have their miter saw, my fence got bent somehow. Life time Warranty and the fence is no longer available. They did say to take it to a repair center and they would work something out but living with out the saw for 4 to 6 weeks is not an option for me. Just a little food for thought. 

Wayne, I have a Ridgid belt oscillating sander. It died. I took it to a repair center. The switch bad and no longer available so the mailed me a new sander. 

3 hours ago, Dave Monk said:

Wayne, I have a Ridgid belt oscillating sander. It died. I took it to a repair center. The switch bad and no longer available so the mailed me a new sander. 

Thanks Dave, maybe when I get caught up in the shop I'll try this. I really like my saw and was thinking of building a fence for it.

I got tired of battery problems with the high dollar drills so after tossing them in the dumpster, I bought a cheap B & D 20 volt lithium battery set. I liked it so much that I bought another one so I could drill with one and drive screws with the other. The ONLY time that I have ever run either one down was using a sanding mop. I also found that they make a 5 1/2" saw that uses the same battery. I could not be happier with what I have and would buy them again. No more high dollar cordless tools for me.

Edited by octoolguy

1 minute ago, octoolguy said:

I got tired of battery problems with the high dollar drills so after tossing them in the dumpster, I bought a cheap B & D 20 volt lithium battery set. I liked it so much that I bought another one so I could drill with one and drive screws with the other. The ONLT time that I have ever run either one down was using a sanding mop. I also found that they make a 5 1/2" saw that uses the same battery. I could not be happier with what I have and would buy them again. No more high dollar cordless tools for me.

I also had a nice B&D set.. that has the 5-1/2" saw, light, jigsaw, and drill.. Loved the set but someone stole it.. assuming it was a kid because they took my son's BMX bicycle and the drill with the Hitachi cordless batteries and charger.. I can't remember what all it was because that was like 12 years ago.. but anyway they got the drill with the wrong batteries.. and left me needing batteries for the Hitachi one I had and batteries for the drill they took they left with me but stole the charger. However it worked out I had to buy either batteries for the hitachi or a drill and charger for the B&D..  

1 hour ago, Brianr24 said:

All Dewalt tools are way overpriced IMO. I think they’re are good tool just not a good value. I have porter cable cordless. I like them. I have many Rigid tools also. Nothing bad to say about them.

i always try to stay away from Dewalt tho 

Dewalt still makes good stuff. You just have to shop for deals. The DW788 scroll saw is one of the top saws for most people. Cordless tools are in a whole different category because they have such competition. 

To be brutally honest, I'd look hard at the new tools that Harbor Freight has brought out. Not bad stuff and priced reasonably for the average person. Not for the Festool crowd though.

22 hours ago, Rockytime said:

My 18V DeWalt has been OK. But for the amateur use it's had the chuck is very rough. Feels like it's grinding. I have a HF 10 minutes from me and when I'm ready I will check out their Bauer line.

Let us know what you think. They may even have a better line than that. They keep coming out with newer/better stuff.

Edited by octoolguy

My current one is a 12V DeWalt and I like it best of any I have had, including the three other Dewalts I have owned.  I like it because it is small and for what I do, I don't need a high powered one.  This one has plenty of power for me and not heavy and cumbersome.  When the batteries die on it, I will go back to electric, they work fine as long a I use them in the shop and I don't have plans to build big stuff anymore.

I made mention to this shop safety item in the compressor question but this is a good place to put this link. It has to do with maintaining your battery operated tool batteries. It is not a good idea to store or keep batteries on a charger longer than what it takes to charge them. This can prove fatal so why take a chance. https://www.todayshomeowner.com/how-to-care-for-a-rechargeable-cordless-tool-battery/

The newer Ryobi tools with brushless motors are pretty good. If you're not making a living with your cordless tools, they might be worth a look. HD puts a two battery 4ah set on sale every Christmas for $99, so I get one every year. I have about 30 of the tools in their line, and my battery usage is fairly significant, so I get a new set every year.

Edited by jerrye

20 hours ago, rjweb said:

Thx for your input, I was leaning towards the ridgid, but with the life time warranty on the drill and battery might be a problem the closest service center is 98 miles away, with it being that far away it might not be worth it, RJ 

Do you have to take it to a service center? I would think you could take it to H/D and either exchange it or have them send it in. Aren't they the recognized Ridgid seller?