Leaving Compressor Plugged in and "Full"

stevan

Rockytime's thread about his wheeled compressor prompted the old memory cells here with a question that I've been meaning to ask for a while.

"The Set Up"

I have a small compressor that I use for my brad gun, filling tires and other low volume work. It's really quiet.  However, I just leave it in the box until I need it, drag it down from the shelf, plug it in, use it, let the air out, put it back in the box and then back up on the shelf.

"The Question"

Can I just plug this thing in and let it stay full 24/7/365?  Or at least let stay pumped up but maybe not plugged in?  Or does it need to be deflated on a regular basis?

As always, thank you in advance for comments and guidance.

I never deflate mine. Also, I would NEVER, NEVER leave it powered up. If it has an on/off switch leave it plugged in but turned off. A good friend left the compressor in the on position allowing it to turn off and on automatically at night. It caused his shop to burn down. If the compressor is in good condition and does not leak air that would not happen as there would be no need to recycle. But I don't take chances.

I had a shut off ( pressure switch ) failure once.. and it just kept running.. lucky I was in the shop at the time and thought it was running a long time.. but before I could get to it to shut it down the blow-off safety valve went off.. I'd never leave one powered up without being in the shop.. I do leave it with air in it all the time.. run it about 1-2 times a month to fill it back up with air.. Run it much more in the summer months as I always blow the grass off the mowers before putting them away.. had a friend that had a riding mower and a bearing went bad in the mower deck.. he never cleaned off the grass and that bearing got hot enough to set that grass on fire burned his little shed down that he kept yard stuff in.. and of coarse the tractor..  Also.. I never put my mowers back inside right away.. I park them outside for a few hours to cool down before putting them back in the garage..

Edited by kmmcrafts

I leave mine on and full all the time. Except when I go on vacation. Then I unplug it and everything else not needed in the house. I do drain the condensation from mine at least once a week, rarely get any but you never know. I use mine a couple times a week for maintenance on machines, shooting brads and the like .

I usually will shut it off if plugged in or not. You do loose air over time and go to use it and it is empty. Usually I use it in spurts so fill and keep filled but open the plug to let air out and drain leaving it open so water drains. I had my dad's years ago that he gave me and it did have condensation and ended up with a rusted hole in the bottom. of course when I he gave it too me it was over 30 years old and I used it for another 5 or so years. 

I always turn mine off after use and purge the air and WATER.  Mine always has some build up of moister in the tank.  I have read many times that left it there the tank can rust from inside out.... get weak and under pressure explode.  That is what I have read,,, honest.

This is just one article:

https://air-compressor-help.com/do-i-need-to-drain-the-compressor-tank/

Edited by Scrappile

I have a 6 gallon oiless that I bought at H/D when we went out on the road. I needed something that would air up the tires on our 5th wheel. 110 psi. H/F sells a similar unit. Anyway, my point is, I don't recall a drain cock on mine. Now, I'll have to drag it out and check.

Both my 21 gallon and 3 gallon pancake and a 6 gallon have drain cocks. I see them but never use them. If they rust out it will be long after I'm gone. That being said, when I had my business I had a huge compressor. Don't recall the gallons or brand but it was driven with three belts. Had lots of equipment running on it and it was drained every end of day.

I drain my tank after every days use. I do not use air every day and for me it is the safest way to keep water out of the tank. I have a water filter setup before the tools so they do not get corroded. If you are using small portable air compressors and not draining them they are a potential bomb sitting there so be careful they do not get knocked over or tools falling on them. Forget you left it charged and go to move and bad things can happen. I have most of my shop on disconnect switches of some sort and at end of day I shut off. Speaking of things that should never be done is leave batteries charging in a charger. The heat they generate can cause fires. Charge a battery and take it out and feel how hot that battery is. Now if the shutoff on that charger is not working it will not be pleasant. Shop safety!!!!

22 hours ago, Rockytime said:

Both my 21 gallon and 3 gallon pancake and a 6 gallon have drain cocks. I see them but never use them. If they rust out it will be long after I'm gone. That being said, when I had my business I had a huge compressor. Don't recall the gallons or brand but it was driven with three belts. Had lots of equipment running on it and it was drained every end of day.

Kellogg maybe?

I always leave mine full, and it's hard wired, but I turn off the breaker when I won't be in the shop. It's a 5 hp 80 gallon unit. Every day that I use it, I open the condensate drain for a few seconds, so I never worry about condensate laying in the bottom of the tank and rusting it. There is a large piece of galv steel pipe with a reducer on each end that forms a collection reservoir in the condensate drain line with a ball valve on the outlet end of it. The drain then goes over and out through the side wall of my compressor shed with an elbow pointing down on the end of it. When I open the ball valve the compressed air in the compressor tank blows the condensate out of this reservoir. It scares the ducks and geese on the lake that's nearby, but I would be happy if it kept them from coming over here anyway. They are filthy buggers.

Charley