How do I apply a finish to a puzzle?

cskipper

I'm cutting a couple of puzzles out of oak that are more showy kind of puzzles  than most of the ones I typically cut. Typically I sell puzzles out of poplar without a finish (which is one the selling points). I think these new ones need a finish. The pieces fit pretty tightly.
How do I apply a finish?
Carefully use wipe-on finish? Spray?.
What type of finish?
Thanks

1 hour ago, cskipper said:
I'm cutting a couple of puzzles out of oak that are more showy kind of puzzles  than most of the ones I typically cut. Typically I sell puzzles out of poplar without a finish (which is one the selling points). I think these new ones need a finish. The pieces fit pretty tightly.
How do I apply a finish?
Carefully use wipe-on finish? Spray?.
What type of finish?
Thanks

How thick is the puzzle?

bb

9 hours ago, fredfret said:

I would use a Danish oil finish applied light coats with a rag, or a short (30 sec- 1min) dunk then wipe off excess then dry. Try using scrap that you cut with the same blade to ensure there is no swelling of the wood.

Fredfret

Excellent choice on the Danish Oil. I use the same on all my 3/4" hardwood puzzles!

bb

2 hours ago, orangeman said:

I'm confused on this part: "cutting back with 360 - 400g between coats."  can you please clarify?

bb

Sorry Brian, I have a tendency to use trade terms, just pull me up like you did, and I'm always happy to explain.

It's just sanding lightly 360 or 400 grit paper. This knocks of any dust particles etc and gives a smooth underlay for the topcoat, at the same time lightly scouring the piece so the top coat has something to adhere to.
Cheers