Copyright question ?

sullyscroller

Travis this would be a good one for you , On you classes for gimp you talked about copyrights , i have a few patterns made by other designers of Dale Earnhart ,If i cut them to sell will i get in trouble . I live 15 miles from Bristol Speedway and when theres a race in town 2 times a year we get 160,000 race fans in town . I'd like to cut other patterns af other drivers but not if it's illegal . Little help please . I'm not talking about the nascar logo just driver and car pictures .Thanks so much.

Im no genius and I know that you asked travis but here is my two cents worth.

It is my understanding that you are allowed to cut any pattern and sell your finished product. You can not however sell the pattern itself unless you made it.

It is also my understanding that you can not sell anything nascar related or disney related or any company that has a legal copyright.

Disney has a copyright on their characters and nascar has a copyright on their drivers and cars.

As such you can not sell your finished works without the respectful owners permission.

I have heard that nascar has went so far as to not allow you to do anything with the pictures you take at the raceway aswell.

Sport stars like that have their likeness trademarked. This is especially true with Nascar stuff. They're notorious about going after copyright infringements. Dale Earnhart naturally is one of their prized licenses. I wouldn't do it. I've seen even the little guy get the smackdown from Nascar. :(