FIRST EVER ATTEMPT WITH SCROLL SAW

OLEPAPPY

My oldest SON (33) came down today with his family for a visit. He lives about 20 miles from me. He brought down an old shake shingle and the indian design with him. He asked me if I would cut it for him and I told him that being he was going to vist all day that he should attempt to cut it himself. I gave him a few tips and and off he went. The wood is from an old barn that I tore down on my property ( Over 100 years old). In about an hour he brought it in the house and said "How is this"? I told him for a first timer it appears that you did really well. I WAS PROUD..He asked me to take a ride with him and we went to Lowes where he purchased his first Scroll Saw. It is a Skill and plenty good enough for him to start off on. He said he didn't like the light colored wood so he took my torch and did some touch up's.

My oldest Son does Native American Crafts on his off time and NOW it looks as though he has found himself a Brand New Hobby. :)

What do you think guy's ?

Very nice.

The arrow I think could use to be a bit thicker, and since the mule with rider is well supported at the feet, no need to attach the head and rear, or either really.

True, even if they were cut away from the arrow they would be very close, but profile subjects like that tend to look better the less joined they are.

I do similar works like these

file.php?id=3803&mode=view

file.php?id=3763&mode=view

Just a footnote I've had my Skill from Lowes for two months and had to replace the upper blade holder once and it will wear out the screws that tighten the blade, so be ready for that, also the bellows that blows the dust away don't last long , I replaced mine with a small aquarium pump hooked to a remote switch and it works great.And it cost less than shipping a new bellows !!!!

I started on the same saw, except mine was blue and had a GMC badge on it. My one was a single speed saw and only took pinned blades. With help I later fitted Hegner blade clamps to it to allow me to use pinless blades and I eventually had to use an aquarium pump to replace the split bellows. It was a good saw for its price and helped me see that I enjoyed the hobby and that it was worthwhile me updating to a better saw ... of course it could always have the other effect and frustrate you and not make you want to scroll anymore .. lucky for me that didnt happen