Slimline LED Magnifying Lamp

I discovered this when attending a class at Judy Gale Roberts' studio last month and fell in love with it right away.  I purchased one from Judy and go can do so too.  Here is a link: https://intarsia.com/collections/hardware/products/new-led-daylight-slimline-magnifying-lamp

I have owned a light and magnifier for many years, but never got the magnifying part to work to my satisfaction.  Along the way, I have tried out a few others, but did not like them either.

It was really easy to set up.  The time it took me from when I started too  open the box to when I was making use of the light/magifier was less than 5 minutes.

Here is a photo, I took yesterday of the thing in use:

387054374_CoveredBridgeIntarsiabyJGR05-Startingtosaw(Ilovemynewlightandmagnifier)-small.thumb.JPG.97ccc2d33880b74f74a699160dc44ef2.JPG

I highly highly recommend this light/magnifier.  It is already making my scrolling better and easier.

Edited by Frank Pellow

I'm going to buy one of those once I get my funds recovered from buying a new/used Jeep for my wife.. I've heard from several folks on the message boards about these.. I can certainly tell a difference just between my cheapy ones and the one that came with my Hawk Ultra a few years back.. I sometimes move the one "better" one I have from saw to saw if I'm going to be using it regularly for a while..

Putting LED bulbs in my older lights helped a ton but there is still the lens quality issue.. 

36 minutes ago, ike said:

looks too pricey for my blood

I guess that's very much a matter of opinion.  I'm surprised tha it is so inexpensive.  It's very good quality and I don't know how the light/magnifier can cost less than $250.  I would,  gladly, have paid $300 for it.

Edited by Frank Pellow

I'm curious. Your lamp has two lens, 1.75X and 2.25X. Which one works for you. I ask because this has been discussed at length not too long ago. Most mag/led lights have reasonable to excellent glass optics. Many scrollers purchase these lamps with 5X lens which has too long a focal length. I use a 1.25X which works well for me and only $25. I have no first hand experience but from what I think Hegner, Hawk and other saws that come with a lamp are perhaps somewhere between 1.25X and 3X. I looked at lots of mag lamps and almost all were %X. I bought a fairly expensive one and could not use it. I could be full of hot air so if I am I don't mind hearing about it. JMHO

27 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

I'm curious. Your lamp has two lens, 1.75X and 2.25X. Which one works for you. I ask because this has been discussed at length not too long ago. Most mag/led lights have reasonable to excellent glass optics. Many scrollers purchase these lamps with 5X lens which has too long a focal length. I use a 1.25X which works well for me and only $25. I have no first hand experience but from what I think Hegner, Hawk and other saws that come with a lamp are perhaps somewhere between 1.25X and 3X. I looked at lots of mag lamps and almost all were %X. I bought a fairly expensive one and could not use it. I could be full of hot air so if I am I don't mind hearing about it. JMHO

I'm using the 1.75 and it seems perfect. 

I have not tried the 2.25.  🤔 Who knows  it might be better than perfect.

The one I use is 3X power.. https://www.menards.com/main/lighting-ceiling-fans/indoor-lighting/lamps/desk-lamps/patriot-lighting-reg-apollo-45-h-black-1-light-magnifier-desk-lamp/tb1306b/p-1444438446926-c-1531402259058.htm?tid=6557255150905875137&&ipos=1

The one that came with my used Hawk I believe is the same 3X but I have no way of knowing for sure.. The lens on the one that came with my Hawk saw is much clearer view.. mostly around the edges.. I really think that is the same power just better quality lens..  I replaced all but one of my light bulbs with LED bulbs.. That made a huge difference.. I need to take the thing apart and see if the lens comes out.. I've often thought maybe I could just buy quality lenses for what I have.. This is the issue of having 4 saws that I regularly use.. I'd need 4 of those lights.. Especially if they are really that much better.. LOL 

I do swap one of my lights around once in a while because it is better.. but it's only that much better because of the LED bulb.. since one of my lights still has the Florescent bulb.. I'm going to order a new LED for that one soon.. 

Here is the one I use and it has daylight flourescent bulb and works great for me. I bought mine and I have 3 of them ta a woodworking show and paid around $40 each. https://www.amazon.com/V-LIGHT-Heavy-Duty-Magnifier-Black-8VS103B/dp/B07KGT5W7S/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_60_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=92XFQSV70NBJZQS1KFKK The hawk has a place in the back where the magnifier just slips in a hole and moves very easily when I need to push out of the way and swing back when needed. Everyone is different when it comes to buying tools but to pay $300 for a magnifier is out of my range. That is a draftsman light. For what we do and the dust environment not needed. Just my opinion. 

Many of these lights probably come out of the same factory because they all look alike with a different name. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

7 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Frank, will you show pictures of how you mounted it?  

OK, I am attaching two pictures.

This one shows the overall setup with the base for the lamp clamped to a table that is beside my saw:

956542018_Slimlinelight-magnifierusedwithmyscrollsaw-1.thumb.JPG.143bc3e1ace060ce28fbc49fb9404efc.JPG

This one shows how the base for the lamp can simply slip into into the clamping unit:

1421469091_Slimlinelight-magnifierusedwithmyscrollsaw-2.thumb.JPG.532cff344e2744afade9f75c7330e935.JPG

It could not be easier to set up.

5 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Here is the one I use and it has daylight flourescent bulb and works great for me. I bought mine and I have 3 of them ta a woodworking show and paid around $40 each. https://www.amazon.com/V-LIGHT-Heavy-Duty-Magnifier-Black-8VS103B/dp/B07KGT5W7S/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_60_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=92XFQSV70NBJZQS1KFKK The hawk has a place in the back where the magnifier just slips in a hole and moves very easily when I need to push out of the way and swing back when needed. Everyone is different when it comes to buying tools but to pay $300 for a magnifier is out of my range. That is a draftsman light. For what we do and the dust environment not needed. Just my opinion. 

Many of these lights probably come out of the same factory because they all look alike with a different name. 

Was just going to say.. I think that light is the same as mine.. and they do work pretty well.. I always thought.. but I do see a difference in the lens from this style one I have from the one I got with one of my used saws.. The one that came with one of my used saws has a better lens.. NOW.. it's not so much better that I'd spend 300 to get a better one, LOL.. There was a big bg improvement when I put this LED bulb in it.. Only figured that out because I had the light too close to the upper arm on the Hawk and I snapped the blade..arm came up and broke my bulb.. Like the LED so well I bought another.. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-inch-Circline-T9-Daylight-6000K-LED-Relamp-Fluorescent-FC8T9-Bulb/222261066257?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

4 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Was just going to say.. I think that light is the same as mine.. and they do work pretty well.. I always thought.. but I do see a difference in the lens from this style one I have from the one I got with one of my used saws.. The one that came with one of my used saws has a better lens.. NOW.. it's not so much better that I'd spend 300 to get a better one, LOL.. There was a big bg improvement when I put this LED bulb in it.. Only figured that out because I had the light too close to the upper arm on the Hawk and I snapped the blade..arm came up and broke my bulb.. Like the LED so well I bought another.. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-inch-Circline-T9-Daylight-6000K-LED-Relamp-Fluorescent-FC8T9-Bulb/222261066257?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Mine has a Plastic cover to protect the lamp. It has served me well for many years.