Birch Underlayment

Rockytime

I buy this cheap stuff at Home Depot because it IS inexpensive compared to BB at Woodcraft. It scrolls very nicely and when I compare the surface to BB they look the same. HOWEVER, when I apply 50/50 BLO one side is very light while the other is a reddish color. I have no problem with that except that before cutting I do not know which side will be light and which side reddish as both sides are the same before applying the BLO. I'm not complaining just making an observation.  The photos do not reflect the colors exactly but will give you an idea. I'll keep using it. The darker one is much more red that it appears here.

2-20190602_170216.jpg

1-20190602_170154.jpg

Edited by Rockytime
Add text.

I get that sometimes with the BB ply too.. I sorta think it's more to do with the part of the tree the wood was from.. ie Sap wood or heart wood.. or maybe it's worded the outer most part of the tree or the inner part.. whatever the case.. I don't think it's something to do really so much with one side or the other or if there is a front and back side.. .. I may be wrong about that.. I'm just sayin that.. my BB ply is this way sometimes.. 

BTW... Nice cutting!

Edited by kmmcrafts

Years ago, when Home Depot was just starting to build their empire, They use to sell Sande wood in dimensional lumber form and not just plywood. It was from a different source they have now. I built my entire shop with it. All my cabinets and trim are from Sande wood. It was a very nice wood to work with and cut easily. Very stable wood.  I was told it was in the mahogany family.  Not sure where they get this stuff from now but it is not the same stuff for sure. 

Wood is alive, well before it was cut down.  It's color can change in the way is processed/milled and dried or even from minerals in the ground water.  Even on solid wood I have seen color variation and rate of absorption on boards 4 less then feet in length.  I find slight color variation on all sheets of Baltic Birch and I get the B/BB grade. (B/BB) will have one face that is clear of defects and the backside may have some oval patches.    

7 hours ago, NC Scroller said:

Wood is alive, well before it was cut down.  It's color can change in the way is processed/milled and dried or even from minerals in the ground water.  Even on solid wood I have seen color variation and rate of absorption on boards 4 less then feet in length.  I find slight color variation on all sheets of Baltic Birch and I get the B/BB grade. (B/BB) will have one face that is clear of defects and the backside may have some oval patches.    

Thus the grading.

I'm glad I seen this post.  I'll be cutting some BB (label says made in Russia) for the first time and one of the sheets there is a clear difference in color front to back.  The other sheet I can't really tell a difference.  I applied a little shellac and the red side really stands out.  So glad I seen this before cutting.

Thanks