Who's Watching Whom

Frank Pellow

The majority of this project is not scroll sawing but there is a scroll-sawn element and that element is very important.

This is a gift that I am going to give to my wife, Margaret, when she is in the hospital for removal of her thyroid on June 7th.  The gift is going to be a framed tile of a Whisky Jack (known to most non-Canadians as a Gray Jay) entitled ‘Who’s Watching Whom’ and I am going to feature the title.  (The tiles comes from Motawi Tileworks and it is based on art by Charlie Harper).

To that end, I am cutting a title out of a little bit of the Wenge that I recently purchased. 

587375767_WhosWatchingWhom00-CuttingoutwordsonWenege-small.thumb.JPG.a96d2d6e643858fa7a31d5815d565ebd.JPG

The colour and texture of the wood are both  a good match for the tile.  The font is an Arts and Crafts font that I found an example of on the internet and that I modified slightly.

I think this would look good framed with some weathered cedar from the old play structure that I took down a couple of weeks ago.  I used this mock-up to help me decide:

474101564_WhosWatchingWhom01-Mock-up-small.thumb.JPG.3deacff0e751c1bb2eaef502d6746e9e.JPG

I purchased the tile from Motawi Tileworks in Michigan and the artist is Charles Harper.

I tried a few different stains in order to a get a good match for the ivory colour in the tile:

480900260_WhosWatchingWhom02-PaintingtheWordsbackertomatchthecreamcolouronthetile-small.thumb.JPG.ccfc8363ef4cebfec92af6af299187d0.JPG

This colour is to be used on the lettering’s backer board.

I made the frame using a variation of my “standard” Rosseter-Pellow frame.  Here is a photo:

1046082496_WhosWatchingWhom04-Completed.thumb.JPG.6e9f57db8e1c9ec6d3b898f1a28f9566.JPG   

I’m fairly certain that Margaret is going to be surprised and happy with this gift.

Edited by Frank Pellow