Clock Insert Holes

Dave Monk

5 minutes ago, JimErn said:

I only use the small clock insert so I use a forstner bit

I made an inkscape template with the drawings for 3 clock inserts, then I just copy and paste to the new inkscape instance I am working on, let me know if you want it.

I sure would like a copy if possible - I have a bunch that need clocks and I've not gotten to them yet

4 hours ago, Scrappile said:

You have to get a lot of money for the clocks to pay for those larger forstner bits!!  They are spendy!

Yeah, good ones sure aren't cheap.. I bought a complete set several years ago when my bit I had used for a long time was getting dull. But the new bit in that cheap set was duller then the old one that I thought was getting dull, LOL... Don't waste the money on set's is something I was told when I first started making clocks.. just buy the sizes you need and in a quality brand.. I mainly only use 3 different sizes.. 

Unless you are making a whack of clocks there are much cheaper (i.e. way more cost efficient) alternatives to Forstner bits - none of the clocks I have ever made is a production item - meaning I use hole saws very comfortably - and if I'm only making one clock I will likely use the scroll saw.

Jay

21 hours ago, Scrappile said:

You have to get a lot of money for the clocks to pay for those larger forstner bits!!  They are spendy!

Spendy? Forstner bits are a must have item in a wood working shop JMO. What size bit are you talking about?  A 3" carbide bit is $50 on Amazon, a MLCS  brand brand $21.(I have been pleased with their products)   Any bigger than that I would use alternative methods, i.e. scroll saw, or router if I don't want to go all the way through.

1 hour ago, Rolf said:

Spendy? Forstner bits are a must have item in a wood working shop JMO. What size bit are you talking about?  A 3" carbide bit is $50 on Amazon, a MLCS  brand brand $21.(I have been pleased with their products)   Any bigger than that I would use alternative methods, i.e. scroll saw, or router if I don't want to go all the way through.

I use Peachtree bits along with MLCS bits and to me yes a complete set is a must if woodworking in a shop. I have a few complete sets and have sets up to 4" When using bigger bits you need a drill press and you need to slow it down. I do buy individual ones in sizes I use most and I have carbide ones in the 1-3/8" size because I drill billiard balls for clock inserts and that dulls a bit quickly. I have learned to sharpen them too which helps prolong the life. I would not be without them. Holesaws are fine but I usually do not want a hole to go all the way through the back side if possible. Same with scrolling them. 

Copy (2) of IMGP0506.JPG

I use Freud brand.. maybe a bit more pricey brand? Not sure since I never really priced them.. It's what my local tool supplier carries and they also service them (sharpen ) etc.. I mainly use the 1-3/8 and 2-3/8 and 3 inch ones.. I do have a complete set also of the cheapy set from Menards that goes up to I think 2-3/4 inch.. They do work.. but nothing like the good ones.. I'll use them when / if I have mine sent out for sharpening.. funny thing though.. I've never had to send them out yet.. I'm sure they maybe getting dull.. but nothing like as dull as the new ones in the set, LOL

Thanks again. I made the bases to resemble the Rack sort of. They are rosewood and oak.  Being I use lots of them I buy the balls from China. You can get cheap sets on Ebay but many times they have been used. These are not the  real good professional ones used in games but they work well. I sell all numbers and let the customer choose. Have to say I sold probably as many 8 ball as 10 ball because the clock face. People love that blue clock face. Have sold many of the cue ball too and people like a black outer ring and white face with that one. The same one that is on the green 6 ball. 

12 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Thanks again. I made the bases to resemble the Rack sort of. They are rosewood and oak.  Being I use lots of them I buy the balls from China. You can get cheap sets on Ebay but many times they have been used. These are not the  real good professional ones used in games but they work well. I sell all numbers and let the customer choose. Have to say I sold probably as many 8 ball as 10 ball because the clock face. People love that blue clock face. Have sold many of the cue ball too and people like a black outer ring and white face with that one. The same one that is on the green 6 ball. 

Since your doing clocks on billiard balls add the option of the clock at the back of the cue stick. A continued billiard idea. RJF

Edited by teachnlearn