First Shot At Inlay

dbgulick

Hello.. First time here.

I blew up the pattern for this box, (from Big Book of Scroll Saw Woodworking) to 130%. I had made the box once exactly as copied and was quite happy with it (being my first scroll saw project). But I had a chance to have some 40 yr. old rough mahogany re-sawed and wanted to not waste wood. I made the box for my daughter-in-law's graduation. She is Canadian and I wanted to try to do a maple leaf inlay. First try was a disaster. Second try I cut the wrong !#$% direction and the top dropped down rather than the light bottom coming us. After a long slow walk, my third try (last piece of wood) worked pretty well for the "first" try.

I found several patterns for maple leaves online, but was having a hard time deciding. While thinking about it over a beer, I noticed about 10,000 maple leaves at my feet. Ergo.. just traced the pattern and touched it just a bit with the Dremel after it was finally in place.

Also, used flocking on the first box with so-so results. A lady at Michael's suggested I try the sticky backed felt they carry. I'll use that again. Good stuff.

My issue is with finish. I have limited experience with mahogany (Except boat building that did not require high finish). Indeed, I've always been frustrated at this stage of wood working. Would appreciate suggestions on how to get the grain out of the finished product. I sanded extensively, wiped with spirits, etc. And thought five coats of poly spray would give a smooth finish, but the grain is still there. Perhaps just more coats and sanding?

Thanks in advance,

David

Lovely box David. I'm sure your daughter-in-law will love it.

With regard to the finish - I have had similar problems in the past and have found a product called Rustin's Plastic Coating to be the best option. It takes a little practice but you can get a really good thick coat that fills all grain and looks great. I'm sorry I don't know if it is available in the US. I have attached a picture of the box in case it helps.

H.

Well David ,i'm sorry but i'm going to have to agree indubitably with the rest of the members that the box in question is by far the most thoughfull creation of love for the daughter in law.A cold beer does wonders to the mind in thought provokeing skills you've shone us here.None better in my book .And maybe the big book of scroll saw wood working would like to use your picture of the completed box for their next issue!I'd be hard pressed to find that kind of skills to do a box in the fine quality as you demonstrated for us.You are a master woodworker yes?Shipright carpenter?This is a real keepsake and to top it off made with 40 year old wood!You've used all the right ingredience's and came up with a one of a kind treasure.Be sure you sign it and date it.This will be a family heirloom for generations from Mr. david.Excellant job sir.4 stars for you! :)