A few pieces I have cut

New to Scrollin

5 hours ago, Foxfold said:

Wow, they look brilliant.  Do you use a spiral blade ?  I'm presuming so. I wish I could do half as well, but spirals and me don't get on. Anyway, a big Welcome to the Village, you'll love it here.

I use spirals pretty much exclusively.   These are all cut on a Seyco saw with a 21" throat and they are all quite large.   At least 24" on one side and whatever it needs to be proportionally on the other.

1 minute ago, Scrappile said:

Holy cow!  That is great scrolling.  Be sure and start an album here so we can look at you work often.  It really inspires me.  I have to get the BB King pattern, that is a Charles Dearing pattern, right?

That is a Dearing.   I got that right before he shut down his shop and thankful he opened back up again   That is where I just got the Petty from.  I like him, Hand, Williams, Fox, Mey amongst others.   I really like the heavy fretwork patterns.

1 hour ago, Charlie E said:

Fabulous looking pieces! I was wondering what wood you're using? Some of it doesn't look like plywood. Just curious. Great job!

Well all of these are plywood but I have done some lesser detailed work in live edge slabs but that is mostly at least an inch thick and to not go through 5 gross of blades you have to use at least a #5 and getting detailed cuts can be tough.   Most of what I cut is massive so using flat blades is impossible.  So if I want to do detailed fretwork I most use plywood.   I have dabbled with Sande ply as it gives me more of a rustic grain pattern compared to BB.  I'll add stains to some of my pieces but these are mostly just lacquered.

On 6/25/2019 at 7:07 AM, amazingkevin said:

You and our Scrappile are not the least bit faint of heart to tackle these extremely fine detailed fretwork projects.please keep your mighty fine work coming.

I appreciate it!  I was really intimidated when I first started but one day I just bit the bullet and bought a Charles Hand pattern and have not turned back.  they aren't that difficult.......its just more of a patience game when you have over 650 individual cuts.   Things do get dainty at times, though.  I find it therapeutic though.  I like to fire up a podcast or some music and several hours later its time to stand up and stretch and right back at it.   It keeps me outta trouble with the wife as well.   LOL

37 minutes ago, new2woodwrk said:

Ok, I now I really give up 😞 I've been at this about the same amount of time and am not even in the same league! Your stuff is amazing to say the least!

Going to sell my scroll saw and start selling popcorn at the theater 😞

Naw.  Just surround yourself with folks that push you to be better.  Additionally you have to be open to taking risks.  You can't compare yourself to others.  that is the downfall of all artists.   there are other areas of woodworking that I just can't seem to get right.   Like creating a freaking frame.There is a reason I cut all my plywood pieces out of 1/2" plywood.   That way I can put a chamfer on the edges and paint it black.   That way I have a framed look to my pieces cause I just can't get it right.   Just cause you aren't at a level you want to be in one area doesn't mean you aren't kick ass in another.  Just keep at it, take risks and push yourself to try new things.  Trust me in that I was scared to death by patterns from Hand, Dearing, Williams, Fox and the other greats.  But now its not really a big deal.  Its just about the patience of managing 700 pilot holes.   LMAO.