FD-Ultra Reverse Blades?

Vector01

There are 2 ways that the FD ultra reverse are marked. the #1 and #3 will have what looks like a burn mark ( a blue burn that a torch would make on steel) the #5 and #7 have the slight wave for ID. Not sure about the #9 haven't used any. The #5 mark goes on the bottom blade holder, the #7 mark goes in the top, the #1 and #3 marks go in the top holder. You will know immeditly if it is upside down, the blade will track to the right really bad. You can also check the right way by running the flat of the blade along side of your thumb. If it feels smooth,reverse the blade and install. The bur will be on the right side of the blade when you install it in the blade holders. I hope this helps, if not give Mike a shout.

Ervin

The numbers 1, 3, 5 the dent means the top. # 7 and 9 means the bottom. Before the company realized what was hapening, they had too many made. Not only them but also me with a lot of inventory of the numbers 7 and 9. I talked to the company and we came to the conclusion that if they would change the numbers 7 an 9 it would be more confusing for customers who first got the dent on the bottom and later on the top. So we decided to leave it and I made sure that it was all explained on the label.

I had some asking why. After I explained it they all understood.

FD Mike

Wow...I'm really confused. I tried both blades (UR 5 and 7) this morning on some 3/4" hardwoods with the indent as the top of the blade. They both cut great. The only thing I noticed was there's a bit more lift than a regular reverse blade. After reading Mikes post on the indent on the 7's being the bottom I checked it out. I took a close up photo of the 7's tooth orientation and found that there are two teeth facing down and one facing up. This is with the mark to the right end of the blade (looking from the top). I'm assuming that the two down teeth are the ones that should be cutting on the down stroke. So...This would indicate (to me anyways) that the indent on the 7's is the top of the blade.

post-695-134955558006_thumb.jpg

The green arrows shows the down teeth. The red arrow shows the reverse tooth.

Got a reply from the company this morning.

When production got started, we heated the blades on TOP end so that they got a blue colour.

As this procedure took too much time, we decided to press a small kerv on the TOP end of the Ultras.

The dent on the numbers 7 and 9 was first the bottom however when we quit with the blue colour we decided to to put the dent on the top

of the numbers 7 and 9.

I called this morning and they thought that they had told me and they apologized for not doing so.

I am sure glad that vector01 brought this to my attenion.

Mike

Ok, I need to make an apology to every one about the markings on the U R blades. There was 2 bags of #5 that had the statement that the mark was the bottom but that was not right as I later found out on my own. That must have been a typo. The blades I received Wed ( 12th. ) are all marked with the indent and all (#s 1-3-& 5 ) the info says that is the top. With all of the blades being marked the same, it should clear up the confusion.

Ervin