Problems with upper blade holding screw?

tbphotos

Just wondering if anyone has had problems with their upper blade holding screw or if you have made any improvement modifications to same. On my saw (Skil 16 inch, model 3335), After many tightenings of the screw tightly to hold pinless blades, the thread on my screw has worn to the point that I can no longer hold a pinless blade. I went to Home Depot and got a machine screw of the same size (8-32), but I don't feel that it will last too long before I encounter the same problem again. I was wondering if any members could shed some light as to a good fix for this problem. Any input, suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I have not run into this problem. But if only the screw threading is going bad that would lead me to believe that you could be over tighting the screw, or there is some crude built up in the threading of the hole. Maybe run a tap through it to clean it out. Of course the best fix would be to order a new receiver? (I am forgeting what is called) from skill.

Thanks, Chris, that's a plan that I can try, I do have a tap set. I was actually thinking of drilling the screw hole one size larger and re-tapping, but I don't know if I'm brave enough to try that without wrecking the receiver (blade holder piece). I'll try your idea in the morning after I go to see about a bandsaw that a gentleman is holding for me. I'll let you know tomorrow evening how I made out, and by the way, I'm almost ready to cut that floatplane from the pattern that you made me. Thanks again so very kindly!

Your saw is almost identical to my SIP which I modified to a quick change by using an indexing lever of the appropriate size as here.

http://www.wdsltd.co.uk/products/Machin ... ert--1607/

Also take off the clamp and clean off any roughness left on the underside from when the slot was machined, I used a needle file.

Run some abrasive paper through the slot to clean out any swarf or lubricant left by machining.

When you put the blade in the clamp keep it as close to the front as possible and the lever only needs to be finger tight

HTH

I have the same saw im sure , I ended up ordering a new upper blade holder and to be safe i ordered 6 screws to go with it .I still wear out the screws but now i don't wait till the holder wears out . Putting the blade nearer the front does help . My overall plan is a DW 788 to fix the problem lol . Has the air bellows give out on you yet when it does get an aquarium air pump and it works great.

Well.. just having my morning coffee, and already several great suggestions from the great guys here at SSV. I'm heading to the shop in a few minutes, and going to run a tap through the threads and will also clean out the slot that holds the blade. The teflon tape on the screw thread is also a great tip. Many thanks to all you wonderful people.. will keep you posted how I made out.

Cheers,

Trevor Batstone :thumbs:

Well, I tried tapping the threads in the blade holder, used a new screw, and the same thing happened.. stripped the threads on the new screw. I took the blade holder piece off the saw and noticed that it had been very poorly machined right from the factory. Rather than trying to order a new piece from SKIL, which probably would take several weeks to receive, I decided to try another route. I took the blade holder piece to the store where I bought the saw along with my purchase receipt for the scroll saw, and spoke to one of the sales associates there. They had my same scroll saw on display, so the salesman said "Let's have a look at the blade holder on this display unit". It looked perfect, with nice clean, tight threads for the screw. He said "let's just exchange pieces and we can return this display unit back to the company.. no Problem". Whew, problem solved, thanks to good customer service at the store. I'm scrolling once again, only now I'm scrolling with a smile on my face and whistling 'dixie'. Once again, thanks to all of you who offered suggestions and tips, you're a great bunch (of bananas) LOL.

Regards,

Trevor

Just modified my blade holder piece. I was going through some odds and sods in my workbench drawer, when low and behold I found this black thumb knob which was exactly the same thread size as my screw. This model of scroll saw only comes with a set screw and allen wrench for changing the upper blade, so now, my scrolling life is so much easier. Here's a photo of my new setup.

Hi Ron, I can't remember where this T-knob came from, I think it was on some piece of photography gear that I had, for some reason I saved the knob thinking that it might come in handy one day.. low and behold it did. As for purchasing a knob like this, I know that Lee Valley Tools has several models of knobs such as these, but I think their smallest size is for a 1/4-20 size thread, which might be too big for a scroll saw blade holder. Wish I could be of more help for you.

Trevor ;)

• 2 weeks later...

finally fixed it . This is food for thought , if you all hear of anyone having problems with the screws on the blade holders on the skil 3335 saw strippin out heres a good fix, They come with a small metric screw to tighten the blade but they dont last long before they start strippin . So i drilled the hole out with a # 25 drill & tapped it to a 10-24 thread . Lowes carries the set for $ 5.00 if you already have the handle . Thanks all. Ron