OrnaMENT

Hartwood

HI everyone,

I started my new hobby right after Christmas, did I mention I got a new scroll saw, and have been busy learning about the saw. I have managed to create several nice ornaments using 1/4 inch Alder and Oak. I began cutting them out one at a time and then read somewhere about the stack method. That process proved to work a lot better than one at a time. I looking forward to scrolling other items and I was wondering if any of you have used Birch Plywood and for what kind of projects?

Thanks

Hartwood

Welcome aboard Hartwood! What kind of scroll saw did you get?

I've used birch plywood for puzzle backers, some ornaments, and fretwork. I like the way it looks for fretwork, but not so much for the ornaments. If you have a Rockler or Woodcraft nearby, check them out for all the different types of wood.

Dan

I am not sure what kind of Birch ply you are talking about,but if it is the construction ply from the big box stores you will soon run into the problem of "voids". That meaning that some where in a piece of the ply there will be an empty space and you can almost bet it will be right where you will be needing to make an intricate cut or a tight turn. Most likly you will end up with fire wood!!

If this is baltic birch ply graded BB/B you will have a solid piece of wood, no voids!! I gave up trying to use construction grade 5 years ago ( only been scrolling 6 years ) and use baltic birch and hardwoods.

This is not to say every peice of regular ply will have voids but you will see it most often. When I say construction grade I am not refering to the pine or fir but the birch and to some extent oak ply used for cabnets.

This is just my opinion, take it for what its worth!!

Ervin