I do believe that I am

JimErn

12 hours ago, meflick said:

I agree, I believe you have gotten a good hang of it. I look forward to seeing what you do next. It is also on my “to try” list. Any tips or tricks you have figured out? 

I may have to look for another excaliber style saw if I decide to do this a lot, right now I like it more than fretwork.  The angle of the bevel cut is the issue, I would love to set one saw to the perfect angle and leave it.  Of course the perfect angle is another issue.  The graduations at the bottom of the ex for tilt are not defined enough to reset it accurately each time.

I ordered an angle meter, it came in the mail last night, so over the next few days I will work with it.

tips?

stack cut the bottom and top

I went to mitered corners cause I could not keep the rounded ones identical with the sanding, those rounded corners drove me nuts on the first three boxes.

cut the wall piece, then use that to make the cut pattern on the locator piece you will glue to the top piece so it sits well on top

I am such a skinflint, as Dad would say.  I have the cutout pieces of inlay from the tops sitting around trying to figure out what to do with them, and also the center of the wall cutouts too

6 hours ago, JimErn said:

I may have to look for another excaliber style saw if I decide to do this a lot, right now I like it more than fretwork.  The angle of the bevel cut is the issue, I would love to set one saw to the perfect angle and leave it.   . . .

That is EXACTLY why, when DH bought my Seyco saw for me a couple of years ago, and then wanted to move out my Excalibur saw I said NO - I NEED them both.  I want to use the Excalilbur for angle cuts like this and want to be able to set it and leave it. 😁 Not sure he understood exactly why since he doesn't use the scroll saws 😉 and I'm sure he rolled his eyes at me 🙄 but he set it up so I still have them both in "his" workshop. 😍 

6 hours ago, JimErn said:

I may have to look for another excaliber style saw if I decide to do this a lot, right now I like it more than fretwork.  The angle of the bevel cut is the issue, I would love to set one saw to the perfect angle and leave it.  Of course the perfect angle is another issue.  The graduations at the bottom of the ex for tilt are not defined enough to reset it accurately each time.

I ordered an angle meter, it came in the mail last night, so over the next few days I will work with it.

tips?

stack cut the bottom and top

I went to mitered corners cause I could not keep the rounded ones identical with the sanding, those rounded corners drove me nuts on the first three boxes.

cut the wall piece, then use that to make the cut pattern on the locator piece you will glue to the top piece so it sits well on top

I am such a skinflint, as Dad would say.  I have the cutout pieces of inlay from the tops sitting around trying to figure out what to do with them, and also the center of the wall cutouts too

Super nice work there. It makes it soo much easier having two saws when doing inlays.

4 hours ago, meflick said:

That is EXACTLY why, when DH bought my Seyco saw for me a couple of years ago, and then wanted to move out my Excalibur saw I said NO - I NEED them both.  I want to use the Excalilbur for angle cuts like this and want to be able to set it and leave it. 😁 Not sure he understood exactly why since he doesn't use the scroll saws 😉 and I'm sure he rolled his eyes at me 🙄 but he set it up so I still have them both in "his" workshop. 😍 

Well let him know that if it is getting in the way, I have two friends in TN that will drive over and get it for me (one on each end of the state), no shipping involved

🙂