Tabletop gaming

RabidAlien

So a bunch of us (most of us in our mid 40's) get together once a week after work to do some old-school tabletop gaming.  Dice, miniatures, junk food, the works.  We've modernized, though, with dice towers, 3D printed minis (I still paint mine, although our "enemies" tend to show up as a uniform Whataburger-orange color).  The dice tower I made recently works great, and then someone took a look at youtube.  Apparently the big thing now is digital maps (if you could see our DM's drawing skillz, you'd agree, digital is better), but not just displayed on a wall-mounted TV.  Nope....lay the TV flat on the table, project a map and grid, and put your minis right on the screen.

So of course, being the woodworker in the group, everyone pestered me to make one.  "Sure....you got a spare TV?"  Sudden silence.  :)  Fortunately, I did have a spare 32", having just replaced my wife's bedroom TV.

1x6x10' Lowes whiteboard, with a plexiglass cover cut to fit the frame.  Had to do a bit of tweaking to remove the bezel from the TV, then added a ledge around the edge to hide the sharp edges and exposed electronics and also, conveniently, give a place to stash minis when they weren't on the map.  Scrolled out openings for vents, speakers, input cables, and the power button (ledge covers the IR port, so no remote) and had to rasp a groove for the power button, which protrudes below the bottom of the TV just enough to be really annoying.

20190815_164051.jpg

20190815_164056.jpg

17 hours ago, Rockytime said:

Looks interesting but what are you talking about? What does it do?

The frame lets us lay the TV flat on the table, screen up.  The guy running the game connects his tablet and is able to display a map of the area we're in, so we can actually see what's happening, instead of having to rely on our DM's drawing skills.

The dice tower has three angled baffles inside for the dice to bounce off of, making sure that someone can't try to influence the outcome of the roll (cheat).  The tray the dice bounces into keeps it from flying off the table and everybody wasting time looking for it.