Dremel 9000 Advantage question

OCtoolguy

I just bought a used Dremel 9000 Advantage on eBay for $7 plus $10 shipping. I also bought a new in box plunge router attachment for the same tool on C/L for $10. I had never seen/heard of this tool before but just happened upon it. Do any of you folks have one or are you familiar with it? It appears to be a bit more powerful than the standard Dremel tool. I hope to be able to use the flex shaft with it. I haven't found any info on compatibility of the accessories between the two tools. Can anybody give me any info? Thanks in advance for anything offered.

2019-08-26_1054.png

Glad you got a bargain Ray. But personally, except for the myriad of small grinders, cut off wheels, etc, the tools themselves are crap. Have gone through many  with the switches going bad, motors burning out and so on. Have an old B&D that is still going strong. The flex shaft lasted all of 45 minutes (that I got free). Would continuously stall at different angles and then broke. Now the plunge router for me has worked out well for drilling fretwork holes straight and true. But even with that one, the switch on the tool itself is starting to crap out. Sorry about the rant and rave, but I'm done buying Dremels.

47 minutes ago, ScollSaw Slasher said:

Glad you got a bargain Ray. But personally, except for the myriad of small grinders, cut off wheels, etc, the tools themselves are crap. Have gone through many  with the switches going bad, motors burning out and so on. Have an old B&D that is still going strong. The flex shaft lasted all of 45 minutes (that I got free). Would continuously stall at different angles and then broke. Now the plunge router for me has worked out well for drilling fretwork holes straight and true. But even with that one, the switch on the tool itself is starting to crap out. Sorry about the rant and rave, but I'm done buying Dremels.

Maybe yours was made on a monday, cause mine is just the opposite, very reliable even when I get it so hot I can not hold it with gloves on.

EDIT: that said they are expensive so I have been buying the ones by WEN, they seem to work fine as a dremel replacement, longevity?  Too soon to tell

Edited by JimErn

You guys are talking about the regular Dremel tools. This one is the forerunner of the Rotozip rotary tool. There were not many accessories made for it. And most everything is no longer available. The tool was discontinued some years ago. I tried ePartsreplacement but they have nothing either. I may have just blown a few bucks. I guess I should have researched it first. Oh well, if anything good comes out of it, I'll let you know.

2 hours ago, Rockytime said:

Thanks Ray. That appears much more robust than the cheap, small Dremel router attachment. I've had a Rotozip for lots of years. Wonder if there is a router attachment for it. I'll have to google it.

I also bought the plunge router attachment for my regular Dremel. The main difference I see is plastic opposed to metal. The metal one won't fit the standard Dremel.

19 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

I checked the Rotozip accessories and they do not have a plunge attachment. Too bad. It has quite a bit of torque and would make a great little router. I have the circle cutter and that's about it.

Actually what happened is, I was surfing C/L the other day and the plunge attachment popped up. Seeing that it was made out of metal I thought I'd buy it and sell the plastic one I have. Well, that led to my finding out it wouldn't fit anything except the 9000 Advantage rotary cutter. So, that got my curiosity up as I had never seen one before and I found that it could also be used like a Foredom tool. So, I went on the hunt for a used one. I found the one that I ended up buying on eBay for $10. By the time I left eBay there was an email in my inbox telling me that it had just been reduced to $7 plus $10 shipping. How could I pass that up? So, I committed to it and also let the seller of the plunge attachment know that I would buy it. So, then, I started reading and looking for anything else that might fit it. That's when I found out that it had been discontinued a few years back and there is virtually nothing available for it. So, now I have a tool that is supposed to work, (time will tell) and a router attachment that may or may not fit but neither of them are in hand yet. Anyway, I'll find out more once I get them. I did some looking and reading and it looks like the depth gage attachment for the Harbor Freight hole cutter might fit this thing. I emailed them to see about buying parts. I'll hot-foot it over to their store and check out their tool to see if it looks like it's a winner or not. In the end, I may end up with something that I can use for something. God knows! Stay tuned.