Calling All Puzzle Zombies or Zombie Wannabe's

Iguanadon

Hello Everyone,

For those of you that purchase puzzle patterns from my site, a big thank you and now a special request.  

The artist, Harvey Byler, has been having health issues the past 2 years requiring 3 heart surgeries and doctor/hospital visits.  As you can imagine, the hospital bills are quite astounding (half a million dollars) and being Amish, he does not have insurance and the bills are paid by their community and church.  I want to help Harvey out without providing an outright "handout" which he would refuse.  So, during the entire month of September, I will donate my portion of every pattern sale so that the full $3 goes to Harvey. (Normally Harvey gets $2 and I get $1 to cover the cost of the website, processing fees, credit card fees, PayPal fees, etc).

If you have a need for any of his patterns, we will both appreciate you ordering in September.  If you have any custom names/patterns or new designs in mind, he could certainly use the $20 or $25 fees associated with those items as well.

No pressure at all folks, every pattern sold will help. www.WoodcraftByScott.com (scroll down to the PATTERNS area $3 each)

Thank you in advance,
Scott

Airplane2.jpg

Dachshund Puppy.jpg

Lion-New.jpg

Yeti.jpg

19 minutes ago, Foxfold said:

Could someone do a 'Go Fund Me' page for him ?  I'd definitely contribute if they did. Just a thought !! 

Thanks for the idea and I'll think about that.  Problem is that Harvey is a stubborn old Amish guy and would not like the idea of outright contributions or "hand-outs" so I'd want to be careful how I approach it.  That's why I wanted to go this route so that it would be money from sales of his patterns.

12 minutes ago, meflick said:

Scott. I was thinking and my thought was maybe just putting an “order” in that really was not an order, but was a donation to Harvey. Was going to check out your site to see if there was a way to do it. Maybe as a special order somehow? If we did it that way, it might work.

You're very kind.  Just pick some patterns out and then they'd be available to you for downloading if you ever felt like trying any of them out.  My site does free downloading so there is no shipping cost or anything like that.

46 minutes ago, Iguanadon said:

Problem is that Harvey Tis a stubborn old Amish guy and would not like the idea of outright contributions or "hand-outs"

The just tell him you had a great response and sold a zillion patterns 🤣  I'm sure the Lord wouldn't mind a little white lie for a good cause. xxx

I'll bite on this one.. There are a lot of those patterns I want. in fact if I had the cash I'd buy the complete set that you have on site.. I see he has some more transportation ones on WTB site.. Maybe you have them on your site too? If not it's not a big deal because I need to stick to the easier ones to make anyway.. I bought the complete set on disc of the woodimal pattern sets a couple years ago but I like Harveys style better..  Not sure what that cost would be.. I have a budget this year and have to be careful of my spending.. $2200 a month for my daughter to go to college is killing me and she's just starting in her program so got about 1.5 - 2 years of this.. 😞  That's what I get for living in the middle of no where... If I was in district it's half that cost.. so trying to be smart I moved her into an apartment just 10 minutes from the school.. but now they're saying she has to have lived in the district a minimum of 4 months.. so gotta pay the big $$ until the new year.. Ugh LOL This is just community college too..     

23 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

I'll bite on this one.. There are a lot of those patterns I want. in fact if I had the cash I'd buy the complete set that you have on site.. I see he has some more transportation ones on WTB site.. Maybe you have them on your site too? If not it's not a big deal because I need to stick to the easier ones to make anyway.. I bought the complete set on disc of the woodimal pattern sets a couple years ago but I like Harveys style better..  Not sure what that cost would be.. I have a budget this year and have to be careful of my spending.. $2200 a month for my daughter to go to college is killing me and she's just starting in her program so got about 1.5 - 2 years of this.. 😞  That's what I get for living in the middle of no where... If I was in district it's half that cost.. so trying to be smart I moved her into an apartment just 10 minutes from the school.. but now they're saying she has to have lived in the district a minimum of 4 months.. so gotta pay the big $$ until the new year.. Ugh LOL This is just community college too..     

Thanks Kevin, I do have several of the transportation ones and they're on my site.  Any that you see on WTB that I don't have, let me know and I can get them from Harvey.  And he's done about 700 patterns, 200 of them are dog breeds.

Edited by Iguanadon

20 minutes ago, Iguanadon said:

Thanks Kevin, I do have several of the transportation ones and they're on my site.  Any that you see on WTB that I don't have, let me know and I can get them from Harvey.  And he's done about 700 patterns, 200 of them are dog breeds.

Probably will be placing a order around or after the 6-7th... Got a big sale on lumber at a local lumber place during their annual wood expo.. and I'm in need of some more lumber.. always try to buy my whole years worth as they run some awesome deals.. 

3 hours ago, Iguanadon said:

Thanks for the idea and I'll think about that.  Problem is that Harvey is a stubborn old Amish guy and would not like the idea of outright contributions or "hand-outs" so I'd want to be careful how I approach it.  That's why I wanted to go this route so that it would be money from sales of his patterns.

ya know, scott-there was a time when i was facing a serious battle with cancer. a group of friends collected a substantial amount of money for me to cover some costs. i didnt want to take it. a good friend asked me," you like helping others. how do you feel when youre able to help others?"

"it feels good to see those people appreciate the help and that i was able to help."

"what gives you the right to deny us that same feeling?"

might work for harvey. :)

9 minutes ago, tomsteve said:

ya know, scott-there was a time when i was facing a serious battle with cancer. a group of friends collected a substantial amount of money for me to cover some costs. i didnt want to take it. a good friend asked me," you like helping others. how do you feel when youre able to help others?"

"it feels good to see those people appreciate the help and that i was able to help."

"what gives you the right to deny us that same feeling?"

might work for harvey. :)

Good thought Tom and I'll see how receptive he is when I send him what I collect from September pattern sales.  He is strict Amish and so it's not a matter of just his stubborness but about their entire way of life and I wouldn't want to put him in an awkward situation.  I have a deep respect for him and his way of life and he's great when I have "stupid" questions about the Amish lifestyle which I'm very curious about.

8 hours ago, Iguanadon said:

Hello Everyone,

For those of you that purchase puzzle patterns from my site, a big thank you and now a special request.  

The artist, Harvey Byler, has been having health issues the past 2 years requiring 3 heart surgeries and doctor/hospital visits.  As you can imagine, the hospital bills are quite astounding (half a million dollars) and being Amish, he does not have insurance and the bills are paid by their community and church.  I want to help Harvey out without providing an outright "handout" which he would refuse.  So, during the entire month of September, I will donate my portion of every pattern sale so that the full $3 goes to Harvey. (Normally Harvey gets $2 and I get $1 to cover the cost of the website, processing fees, credit card fees, PayPal fees, etc).

If you have a need for any of his patterns, we will both appreciate you ordering in September.  If you have any custom names/patterns or new designs in mind, he could certainly use the $20 or $25 fees associated with those items as well.

No pressure at all folks, every pattern sold will help. www.WoodcraftByScott.com (scroll down to the PATTERNS area $3 each)

Thank you in advance,
Scott

Airplane2.jpg

Dachshund Puppy.jpg

Lion-New.jpg

Yeti.jpg

My wife and I are both disabled vets. Our medical 'insurance is the VA. Our son has been our unpaid caretaker. Since we do not have paid insurance we have been put in a tight spot several times with accidents with my son. One time he had a blood test, walked outside and pasted out falling face down. Drove his teeth through his lip and knocked out a tooth into his skull. Needless to say he didn't have the money and we sure didn't.

Every hospital has an application to revoke the bills which they cover. Have had to do this twice. If you quietly call the hospital, find which department that handles this, you can fill out the form work. Either they can revoke the entire bill, or severely reduce it. As Veterans we have had to do this twice, which was accepted. We couldn't have paid one of them for the rest of our lives. This is first hand information, not something off the internet or something I heard of Its not welfare, but a program that helps those that could never pay the bill. RJF.

Edited by teachnlearn

1 minute ago, teachnlearn said:

My wife and I are both disabled vets. Our medical 'insurance is the VA. Our son has been our unpaid caretaker. Since we do not have paid insurance we have been put in a tight spot several times with accidents with my son. One time he had a blood test, walked outside and pasted our falling face down. Drove his teeth through his lip and knocked out a tooth into his skull. Needless to say he didn't have the money and we sure didn't.

Every hospital has an application to revoke the bills which they cover. Have had to do this twice. If you quietly call the hospital, find which department that handles this, you can fill out the form work. Either they can revoke the entire bill, or severely reduce it. As Veterans we have had to do this twice, which was accepted. We couldn't have paid one of them for the rest of our lives. This is first hand information, not something off the internet or something I heard of Its not welfare, but a program that helps those that could never pay the bill. RJF.

By the way the hospital bills and some MDs bill separately, so double check how to take care of the MD bills.

45 minutes ago, teachnlearn said:

My wife and I are both disabled vets. Our medical 'insurance is the VA. Our son has been our unpaid caretaker. Since we do not have paid insurance we have been put in a tight spot several times with accidents with my son. One time he had a blood test, walked outside and pasted out falling face down. Drove his teeth through his lip and knocked out a tooth into his skull. Needless to say he didn't have the money and we sure didn't.

Since he is Amish.. I'm betting that is against their religion.. But those that are not insured also get a much much better cash price payment.. Insurance rates are much more costly than cash rates.. This goes for more than just medical.. Autobody repair places have separate rates too.. Just figure how many people and paperwork that your insurance billing has to go through.. when paying cash.. there is no insurance billing and the mess of paperwork that goes with it.. I know a few people who do not carry health insurance and just have a whopping savings account.. pay cash when they need medical.. actually cheaper than many might think.. Though I'm far from being that wealthy but I know some that are.. To me.. all insurance companies is a big rip off..But they have most people suckered into it.. including me.. LOL  

7 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Probably will be placing a order around or after the 6-7th... Got a big sale on lumber at a local lumber place during their annual wood expo.. and I'm in need of some more lumber.. always try to buy my whole years worth as they run some awesome deals.. 

is that sale at johnsons workbench?

9 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Yes, next week Friday and Saturday.. Then the following week ( I think it was ) is the deals at their Indiana store.. so if we miss the one... we can always take the 1.5 hour drive to the Indiana store, LOL 

looks like imma gonna have to take a roadtrip next saturday. i think the mi store is about 1.5 hours from hete but ive been wanting to go there for some time. 

12 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

But those that are not insured also get a much much better cash price payment.. Insurance rates are much more costly than cash rates..

That is exactly the opposite of my experience personally, and when I handled medical billing for my father too (end of the 90's).

I see the Dr, or hospital charges, then I see the "approved charges".  Approved is always lower and the medical practice eats the difference.

My son is uninsured, a recent test was billed to him at $150, he mentioned it to me, I dug around in my records and found the exact same test I took.  The approved amount was $64.72.  So we took that to the billing dept - no joy, a lot of run around, but the charge remained.  This test was not in isolation, there were other charges too and the total bill was in the thousands.  After a lot of hassle we got it reduced to about 75% of the original, but since he does work there was no help from the low income government agencies or the indigent relief agency either.

As far as billing, it is electronic now.  The medical practice bills the insurance electronically, and if you have a secondary insurer it goes to them automatically too after the primary pays their portion.  Most of my Dr.'s do the billing right in the exam room on a lap top while I am there and we talk.  But even those who don't do it that way, I see the EOB from the insurance company shows date received and date of service, at the most it is one day apart.

I do not live in a major city either, population is around 20K

3 hours ago, tomsteve said:

looks like imma gonna have to take a roadtrip next saturday. i think the mi store is about 1.5 hours from hete but ive been wanting to go there for some time. 

Here is the info about the expo.. They will have demonstrations etc going on.. huge tool and lumber discounts.. vendors will also be there.. It's a great time if you're able to make it there..

http://www.theworkbench.com/expo.php

Not only the show goes on but also just downtown Charlotte they have happenings going on because it's Charlotte Frontier Days... They have a craft show happening on the courthouse lawn.. different things going on throughout the town and the fair grounds.. Here is a little info on that as well if you or family might be interested.. BTW.. The town is busy so plan ahead of time to go any place to eat... Probably a wait to be seated etc..

https://www.charlottefrontierdays.org/ 

Edited by kmmcrafts

8 hours ago, JimErn said:

That is exactly the opposite of my experience personally, and when I handled medical billing for my father too (end of the 90's).

I see the Dr, or hospital charges, then I see the "approved charges".  Approved is always lower and the medical practice eats the difference.

My son is uninsured, a recent test was billed to him at $150, he mentioned it to me, I dug around in my records and found the exact same test I took.  The approved amount was $64.72.  So we took that to the billing dept - no joy, a lot of run around, but the charge remained.  This test was not in isolation, there were other charges too and the total bill was in the thousands.  After a lot of hassle we got it reduced to about 75% of the original, but since he does work there was no help from the low income government agencies or the indigent relief agency either.

As far as billing, it is electronic now.  The medical practice bills the insurance electronically, and if you have a secondary insurer it goes to them automatically too after the primary pays their portion.  Most of my Dr.'s do the billing right in the exam room on a lap top while I am there and we talk.  But even those who don't do it that way, I see the EOB from the insurance company shows date received and date of service, at the most it is one day apart.

I do not live in a major city either, population is around 20K

When my son passed out and fell forward, just the emergency room for one hour was $10,000. Just laying on the table with nothing done. RJF

On 8/30/2019 at 10:41 AM, Iguanadon said:

Good thought Tom and I'll see how receptive he is when I send him what I collect from September pattern sales.  He is strict Amish and so it's not a matter of just his stubborness but about their entire way of life and I wouldn't want to put him in an awkward situation.  I have a deep respect for him and his way of life and he's great when I have "stupid" questions about the Amish lifestyle which I'm very curious about.

The Amish have always fascinated me too Scott. I really respect how they have been able to continue in this crazy world of technology. Does Harvey truly live without electricity? Is he using a pedal powered scroll saw? I'd really appreciate any information you can supply as you have the time. In a private message format.

1 hour ago, rjweb said:

I believe Harvey doesn’t cut anything, just does the design with pencil and paper then mails to Scott, RJ 

I don't know for sure but I think he does cut puzzles.. Used to be a eBay seller selling them and the ebayer mentioned they was designed amd made by a Amish guy named Harvey..

Here is the link, If you scroll down to the description it mentions Harvey as being the Designer and Maker of the puzzle.. They sell them for him on this eBay store..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Vintage-Datsun-240Z-Coupe-Automobile-Sports-Car-Wooden-Puzzle-Toy-11-Parts/163774970944?_trkparms=ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140725133649%26meid%3D8aafffd5e9c943228e2ffcb126669abb%26pid%3D100276%26itm%3D163774970944%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2060778&_trksid=p2060778.c100276.m3476 

Re-reading that, maybe just the designs made by Harvey.. not sure.. Maybe Iggy will set us straight on that topic.

Edited by kmmcrafts