Rings

Wichman

I have an order for a set of wedding rings from solid walnut. I have the pattern form Steve Goods site, but shaping the rings by hand is really tedious. So the brain finally kicked in and I thought if I could get a compression plug the right size....nope, too big. So then it hit me that I could make my own, so here goes.

I used a#10 x 2" machine screw two washers and two nuts (one for a jam nut). I bought a sponge I thought was a good thickness. I then cut a small piece of sponge (about 1" x 1") and pushed the screw though the center. Set the ring on the sponge, tighten the nuts and voile, a compression mandrel to hold the ring while I shape it. Used a sanding block and chucked the mandrel into a cordless drill. Tomorrow I'll try it on the drill press. :)

I need to make a couple of bracelets as well, tomorrow I'll look for the largest bolt/fender washer combo I can find.

20190901_222010.jpg

20190901_222024.jpg

20190901_222116.jpg

20190901_222331.jpg

58 minutes ago, Be_O_Be said:

Great idea @Wichman

I made some bracelets for my grand daughters using a pair of hole saws, 2.5" inside & 3" outside, some I just left square. These will fit a thin wrist.

I cut some bracelets using hole saws, but the cut was so rough I gave up on them. What kind of hole saw did you use? Speed? How much sanding?

FYI. those are very nice. :)

13 hours ago, Wichman said:

I have an order for a set of wedding rings from solid walnut. I have the pattern form Steve Goods site, but shaping the rings by hand is really tedious. So the brain finally kicked in and I thought if I could get a compression plug the right size....nope, too big. So then it hit me that I could make my own, so here goes.

I used a#10 x 2" machine screw two washers and two nuts (one for a jam nut). I bought a sponge I thought was a good thickness. I then cut a small piece of sponge (about 1" x 1") and pushed the screw though the center. Set the ring on the sponge, tighten the nuts and voile, a compression mandrel to hold the ring while I shape it. Used a sanding block and chucked the mandrel into a cordless drill. Tomorrow I'll try it on the drill press. :)

I need to make a couple of bracelets as well, tomorrow I'll look for the largest bolt/fender washer combo I can find.

20190901_222010.jpg

20190901_222024.jpg

20190901_222116.jpg

20190901_222331.jpg

That is fantastic. I never would have thought of that. Thanks for sharing.

Definitely like your way of thinking, necessity is the mother of inventions.  After I had read your post describing the arbor you made, one of the things that popped in my head was to use a rubber grommet from a cord grip or a small bushing, 13021.jpg.gif.845fb677a241dfaae093d9c01a287d21.gif I think the washers would expand it just enough.

8 hours ago, Wichman said:

What kind of hole saw did you use? Speed? How much sanding?

The hole saws are Milwaukee, 400rpm.  I backed out the pins on the arbor and let the bit sit flat against the arbor, eliminates the wobble, adjustable pliers to change out the saw. I cut 4" stock and screw it in 4 corners to a waste table on the drill press & 2 screws in the center area to hold the plug. I cut the outside first then the inside and that left the bracelet on the smaller saw. 220 grit disc sander for the outside & spindle sander inside. Found some small buffing pads at HF that I worked inside and used Beall buffing on the out.