Hegner Factory Dust Collector

Rockytime

Rather than make my own dust collector for my Hegner I bit the bullet for $85 including shipping and bought the Hegner dust collector. It came around noon and I installed it this afternoon. After receiving it the package was just a padded envelope. Holy smokes, I expected something more substantial.  I mounted the lower collector. I had removed the pull down clamp guard deeming it unnecessary but had to reinstall it. It does channel the sawdust down toward the collector. I wondered how this flimsy thing was going to work. The topside vacuum bracket will be cut down. The original idea is to clamp the bracket over the blade arm and the extra arm for the hold down with the vacuum line on the left of the blade. I wanted the vacuum tube on the right side. I don't use the hold down and had removed the arm so I just bolted the bracket on the right using the mounting holes for the arm. Then going from a 2 1/2" collection hose down to 1 1/4" on the collector was a little problem. I could find no PVC or ABS fittings that would make the reduction. Thanks to a helpful man at the ACE hardware store he came up with a fitting that worked. It is not something from the plumbing department but it worked. That little plastic fitting was 10 bucks. It's ok as it works. Turning on the HF dust collector the lower  vacuum has plenty of suction. The upper is very weak . However,  when cutting with the nozzle almost on the pattern it actually does pick up the fine sawdust. After uing it for a whild I will be able to determine how well I like it. Te upper can always be returned to the bellows for blowing.

1-20190907_150909.jpg

2-20190907_145023.jpg

3-20190907_145050.jpg

4-20190907_144910.jpg

5-20190907_144945.jpg

I have a couple comments/questions.

What is the upper blade clamp that you have.  I have a Hegner but do not recognize it and can not find anything like it in the Hegner website.

In my opinion, the Loc-Line on the top is too small for dust collection.  I use one that size connect to my bellows and a 3/4" one for dust collection .

Just a thought about dust collectors versus a vacuum.  The static pressure/suck of your dust collector is about 8" and with small  tubes or Loc Loc-Line will not be very effective .  A vacuum has  60-90" and works much better with smaller tubes or hoses.  I initially tried my dust collector with my Hegner and was not satisfied and now use a vacuum.

1 hour ago, Sycamore67 said:

I have a couple comments/questions.

What is the upper blade clamp that you have.  I have a Hegner but do not recognize it and can not find anything like it in the Hegner website.

In my opinion, the Loc-Line on the top is too small for dust collection.  I use one that size connect to my bellows and a 3/4" one for dust collection .

Just a thought about dust collectors versus a vacuum.  The static pressure/suck of your dust collector is about 8" and with small  tubes or Loc Loc-Line will not be very effective .  A vacuum has  60-90" and works much better with smaller tubes or hoses.  I initially tried my dust collector with my Hegner and was not satisfied and now use a vacuum.

The upper clamp is one I made. It was for a Hawk 16vs. The knob I made was extended to clear a copper blow down. I have a Hegner top clamp on my 14". Mine does not have the fancy rotating tip but works just as well.

You are correct about the vacuum cleaner. It does work better as I tried it but it is such a screamer it would drive me nuts even though I am nearly deaf. I have a hard time with conversations as I can't understand them but loud noise is still piercing to my ears. I have another vacuum but is larger and also would need my dust deputy that I gave away.

I have thought of replacing the Loc-Line with a larger diameter. I'll try the system for a bit and see what I need to do next.

1 hour ago, Rockytime said:

The upper clamp is one I made. It was for a Hawk 16vs. The knob I made was extended to clear a copper blow down. I have a Hegner top clamp on my 14". Mine does not have the fancy rotating tip but works just as well.

You are correct about the vacuum cleaner. It does work better as I tried it but it is such a screamer it would drive me nuts even though I am nearly deaf. I have a hard time with conversations as I can't understand them but loud noise is still piercing to my ears. I have another vacuum but is larger and also would need my dust deputy that I gave away.

I have thought of replacing the Loc-Line with a larger diameter. I'll try the system for a bit and see what I need to do next.

Les, check out the "Dustopper" from Home Depot. I'm sure you have a 5 gallon bucket around. It works great. I incorporated one into the vac system that I posted the youtube video about. It's a lot cheaper than the DD.

The Dustopper is a great help to vacuums to prevent clogging but does little for the "screaming" vacuum.  It is unfortunate that the quietest vacuums are the most expensive.

Your upper clamp is interesting.  The Hegner clamps are very exp but good.  I would like to see a better picture or drawing of the upper clamp.  Is it steel or aluminum.  

Edited by Sycamore67

13 hours ago, Rockytime said:

After uing it for a whild I will be able to determine how well I like it. Te upper can always be returned to the bellows for blowing.

Looks like a nice setup. Nice pictures, nice description, but did you morph into Cockney towards the end? 

"After uing it for a whild I will be able to determine how well I like it. Te upper can always be returned to the bellows for blowing."

Couldn't help myself.

Just wondering if you have had to stand on your head to find the lower blade clamp Les?   From what I can see Hegner has not addressed the  issue of the possibility that the lower blade clamp can leave the scene upon a blade break.   You sure don't get much from Hegner for lower dust collection for $85.00.  Check out my remedy for that issue in the picture on My Hegner Modifications post.   I just collect the sawdust in the bag and dump in out occasionally.   I have a piece of 1/4" hardware cloth positioned just above the bag to prevent the clamp from falling into the bag.  

3 hours ago, Wilson142 said:

Looks like a nice setup. Nice pictures, nice description, but did you morph into Cockney towards the end? 

"After uing it for a whild I will be able to determine how well I like it. Te upper can always be returned to the bellows for blowing."

Couldn't help myself.

I guess I must have!

7 hours ago, stoney said:

Just wondering if you have had to stand on your head to find the lower blade clamp Les?   From what I can see Hegner has not addressed the  issue of the possibility that the lower blade clamp can leave the scene upon a blade break.   You sure don't get much from Hegner for lower dust collection for $85.00.  Check out my remedy for that issue in the picture on My Hegner Modifications post.   I just collect the sawdust in the bag and dump in out occasionally.   I have a piece of 1/4" hardware cloth positioned just above the bag to prevent the clamp from falling into the bag.  

I've had the bottom holder drop into mt dust collector. I just lower it and it falls out. Been thinking of placing a coarse screen over it to keep it from doing so. Very disappointed in my $85 investment. Satisfactory vacuum with my HF dust collector but much greater vacuum with a regular shop vac. The upper is totally useless either way. Much too small an orifice to be useful. Also the long knobby upper tube is too floppy. Would be easier to grab a snake by the tail and regulate it.I'll have to do some creative engineering. I'll order some larger Loc-Line. The knobby tubing from Hegner is not Loc-Line. I remove the stationary arm so I'll replace it with a raised aluminum bar and a shorter manageable Loc-Line. $85 was no bargain.

I have Woodcraft dust collection gates. Of the three different types of gates shown which is the most effective? You only get a dozen chances to get it right.

1-20190630_143358.jpg

2-20190908_135639.jpg

3-20190908_135712.jpg

17 hours ago, Sycamore67 said:

The Dustopper is a great help to vacuums to prevent clogging but does little for the "screaming" vacuum.  It is unfortunate that the quietest vacuums are the most expensive.

Your upper clamp is interesting.  The Hegner clamps are very exp but good.  I would like to see a better picture or drawing of the upper clamp.  Is it steel or aluminum.  

I forgot about your question.  I'll take a picture tomorrow and post it with a description. 

Here are the details of my homemade blade clamp. It works very well but due to not having the little rotating tips like on the Hegner clamps I do get the dreaded hockey stick. I have one Hegner clamp and will order another. For now it works well. Only problem is threading the hockey stick through #68 holes.

The body is made of 12L14 steel. It is 1" long by 1/2" diameter. It is through drilled and threaded with a 10-24 tap. One side is drilled mid-point through to the threaded portion. Opposite the drilled side the piece is milled with a flat to register the cylinder. A 10-24 set screy is inserted in one end mad firm with Loc-Tite. The Knob is just made from 6061 aluminum with a 10-24 bolt epoxed into it. The rectangular aluminum piece is just a little spacer as the clamping screw is too short.

1-20190909_131920.jpg

2-20190909_132037.jpg

3-20190909_132501.jpg

1 hour ago, Rockytime said:

Here are the details of my homemade blade clamp. It works very well but due to not having the little rotating tips like on the Hegner clamps I do get the dreaded hockey stick. I have one Hegner clamp and will order another. For now it works well. Only problem is threading the hockey stick through #68 holes.

The body is made of 12L14 steel. It is 1" long by 1/2" diameter. It is through drilled and threaded with a 10-24 tap. One side is drilled mid-point through to the threaded portion. Opposite the drilled side the piece is milled with a flat to register the cylinder. A 10-24 set screy is inserted in one end mad firm with Loc-Tite. The Knob is just made from 6061 aluminum with a 10-24 bolt epoxed into it. The rectangular aluminum piece is just a little spacer as the clamping screw is too short.

1-20190909_131920.jpg

2-20190909_132037.jpg

3-20190909_132501.jpg

Les, I can't tell from your pic but the factory clamp has a divet in the top for the upper clamp retaining screw to screw into to keep it all centered but not tight. I recall when I had my Hegner Wolfgang told me it had to sort of "float" so thay it could rock inthe v shaped seat. It looks like your clamp may be too tight and can't rock. Am I making myself clear?

2 hours ago, Sycamore67 said:

Nicely done on the clamp both the idea and making the part.

I was involved in designing practices to make the 12L14 which is a low carbon resulfurized steel with lead added.  It is a difficult grade of steel to make but machines easily.

I love the stuff. That is the only steel I use as a hobby machinist. I no longer work on larger things so have sold the Bridgeport and big lathe. I still have a mini Grizzly mill, MaxiMat7 lathe, Sherline lathe and mill as well as a watchmaker's lathe. I can only do small projects these days and not much of that anymore. Scrolling is perfect for an old man. I love it!

2 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Les, I can't tell from your pic but the factory clamp has a divet in the top for the upper clamp retaining screw to screw into to keep it all centered but not tight. I recall when I had my Hegner Wolfgang told me it had to sort of "float" so thay it could rock inthe v shaped seat. It looks like your clamp may be too tight and can't rock. Am I making myself clear?

Yep, I understand. The Hegner blade clamp has a small divot for centering. I have always kept it cranked down. Thanks for the heads up. I'll back it off a bit. My homemade clamp does not have a divot but I can easily do so. Only problem the clamp is round. 

2 hours ago, Rockytime said:

Yep, I understand. The Hegner blade clamp has a small divot for centering. I have always kept it cranked down. Thanks for the heads up. I'll back it off a bit. My homemade clamp does not have a divot but I can easily do so. Only problem the clamp is round. 

Maybe you can grind it into a wedge. Or buy a quick clamp.