Pegas-Scroll-Band-Saw?

rustynail

Anyone seen this new Pegas-scroll-band-saw? What do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/redirect?v=1vmDVcx87T8&redir_token=xzvrVzYgVPQA0gwfhLXISRp8uad8MTU2ODI0ODI5NkAxNTY4MTYxODk2&q=http%3A%2F%2Fscrollsawer.com%2F2019%2F04%2F01%2Fwe-review-the-new-pegas-scroll-band-saw%2F&event=video_description

Once open>  .......  click on go to site...

Edited by rustynail

From what I've seen talked about these over the past few months.. I think it could be a "okay" value maybe for someone doing bandsaw boxes and some puzzle work from thick wood.. However... my 14" Grizzly bandsaw will do the bandsaw boxes and resaw up to 10 - 12" wide boards along with many other things.. and for the most part of what I do.. I just don't see the need or value in it "for me" .. But as I said... there may be some call for something like this in someones shop.. just not in my shop right now anyway... 

I made a new rule for myself to never say I'd never own one.. since I said this for years about CNC's and Lasers and now I have both 😂 .. 

I have cheap porter cable 14" bandsaw with a carter stabilizer and an 1/8" blade total invested $475. It works great for bandsaw boxes. For the price of the pegas I could paint my bandsaw red and black and it would be essentially the same saw. So save a $1000 and look for something just as good like my porter cable.

IMG_0770.jpg

Edited by Woodmaster1

Actually a lot of bandsaws do not come with the fence... that's an added expense in some cases... also a lot of them that do come with a fence... the fence isn't tall enough for resawing anything very big anyway..

This Pegas saw I think only accepts very small blades as it's a "scrolling" bandsaw so the blades for it I believe are only about the size of the "larger" scroll saw blades. 

With all that said.. It's "not" the traditional bandsaw as we know them.. and I also believe a "traditional" bandsaw will not run a blade as small as these do.. even with the Carter set-up.. ( I believe anyway ).. So as I've said before.. I think it probably has some value for it in someones shop that does a certain type of work... That shop is probably not "Our" shops.. 

Years ago I bought my bandsaw with the intent to re-saw and also make bandsaw boxes... It does great at both.. But with that said.. as much as I was switching back and forth between the two.. swapping set-ups from a 3/4 - 1 inch re-saw blade to a 3/16 blade all the time.. a dedicated bandsaw such as this Pegas unit doesn't look so bad in my eyes if I were still doing bandsaw boxes.. simply because I wouldn't have to continually change set up.. plus there is not the temptation or even ability to change the set up on this saw to re-saw anyway.. I gave up the bandsaw boxes mainly because of having to change set-up all the time..  That said.. the money for this saw and being limited with blade source's I'd be more apt to buy another traditional bandsaw so I could have the option for more flexibility if I needed it..  

I'm not sticking up for this Pegas bandsaw BUT, before I write this Pegas saw off.. I'd like to use it OR at least see some feedback on it from some " Real " wood shops other than those promotional videos showing off their new invention..  

This bandsaw is likely great for the specific purpose of running smaller blades.  If I had a need for it, I would buy it.  Pegas seems to make very high quality things.

I have a 16" bandsaw for resaw and heavier work .  I also have a Rikon with the Carter Stabilizer and run a 3/16" blade and it works fine but still has limitations .  For some work the Pegas would be nice but I do not have the room for a third bandsaw.

I have thought about selling my 16" bandsaw and getting a 14" one.  I just do not need to resaw anything real big.  I find that resawing is more difficult than it sounds.  One needs to carefully fine tune their saw and then run the pieces thru a planer.  If I was resawing a lot a big saw would be great.

I was sort of awe struck when I saw the demo video that Steve Good did. I did not know that anyone had even thought to make a bandsaw that was capable of using such a small blade. I have to say that Pegas Company is quite innovative. Their products are on the spendy side for me, but  they all seem to be well engineered. I would give this saw high marks for probably quality but I, personally will not be in the market for one. 

Dick

heppnerguy

5 hours ago, Woodmaster1 said:

I tried cutting tight curves like the video but The 1/8" blade and carter stabilizer could not cut as tight of curves. If the blades are 93 1/2" I might order one and try using that blade. I am always up for a challenge.

I think you would have to also add the blade guide bearing to your saw in order to control the tiny blade. And each size blade has it's own bearing because of the slot in the bearing.

I think it is an interesting adaptation of a bandsaw and can see uses for it.  However, it will be interesting to see the cost of blades and how long they last.  A smaller 70-1/2 " long regular  bandsaw blade with 1/8" width is about $16.  Even with regular small bandsaw blades you need to be careful with setup and use not to break them.  With the Pegas blades, I expect them to be more expensive and fragile.

Edited by Sycamore67

• 11 months later...

I could imagine this tool being very efficient, fast and smooth for exterior outside cuts in scrollsaw and intarsia work.
But aside from the cost I don't have the floor space to add this machine.
But it would be great if their #5 blades could be fitted into a normal 14" bandsaw.

But these small blades probably would not fit into a regular bandsaw and in addition may wander or track too much.
The Pegus bandsaw has special guide bearings in addition.

I just watched a video on making a bandsaw box on this and it looks great.  I have not made a bandsaw box yet but I would imagine this pegas bandsaw would be a little better suited for this than a regular bandsaw with a 1/4" blade

https://www.bearwood.com/pegas-scroll-band-saw-and-blades.html

• 2 weeks later...

Looks fun, but too much $$$ for an impulse purchase.  I wouldn't make enough boxes in my life to justify/pay for it.  

I do like puzzle boxes, and the scroll saw limits me to a couple of inches, and that is pushing it.  But the boxes I like have that one large inside cut, and I don't like the idea of sawing in, then gluing the sides back together. However, this would allow me to make much wider/longer boxes, and I could keep the height low enough to use a scroll saw on that inside cut.  Currently, I can do 2" x 2" x 10" (or more)

All that said, if the price was more in the "impulse" range, i would consider it, and justify it the way I justify all my other purchases like this (dis-engage rational decision making, close eyes, and pull the trigger).

I already have more tools than I need, so when I consider something like this, price isn't the only concern.  It is just as much, "Does the amount of use for this tool justify the space this would consume in my shop."

Edited by hotshot

On 9/10/2019 at 9:34 PM, Scrappile said:

I have two scroll saws, one band saw, guess I don't need one. 

I have three band saws (one to cut glass), one scroll saw, guess I don't need one.

Also, most of the patterns that I cut have holes in them and a bandsaw does not do holes.

Edited by Frank Pellow