Thought I would try a box and tray

JimErn

Beautiful Jim

Nice combination of woods.

Questions : -  how did you do the box, and the 4 corners ?  It look to me like a big piece of wood that you cut the interior ( do I guessed right.... ? )

- the elephants are full thickness of cover  or like marquetery very thin ?

planeur

1 hour ago, planeur said:

Beautiful Jim

Nice combination of woods.

Questions : -  how did you do the box, and the 4 corners ?  It look to me like a big piece of wood that you cut the interior ( do I guessed right.... ? )

- the elephants are full thickness of cover  or like marquetery very thin ?

planeur

Yes the walls are one piece with the center missing

The inlay almost makes it to the surface of the underside but not quite, I cut the inlay so it is a tight fit and sits a little proud which sanding takes care of.

the top and bottom are 3/8 thick, no not marquetry

No it is inlay, put the piece with the elephant pattern on top of the box lid, secure it.

then you cut the pattern at an angle, bevel cut, when you separate the two pieces, the top piece you cut drops into the box lid (after you separate the main pieces).  The angel you cut at determines how far down into the box lid the cut drops.  I fiddled, and am still fiddling with the angle so that the drop in piece sits only a 64th proud so I can sand it smooth.  The angle depends on the thickness of the two pieces of wood too and the blade you use.  Basically you experiment with the wood and angle on scrap, and hope it works the same on the real thing. 🙂

2 hours ago, planeur said:

OK Jim I figured it now !😉  The cut angle must be  3-4 degrees  from the vertical. So the elephant will have to seat on the cut lid .

I tought that your lid was not cut full thickness !

Merci Jim,  I will remenber that technique 😀

planeur

Yes you have the right idea, but the angle I use for 3/8th (10mm) is 1.8 degrees and it is leaving the insert a little high