My continuing struggle with flat blades.

Wilson142

Great looking puzzles! When cutting tray puzzles, it’s best to use a thicker blade like a #5 or 7. It is important to make sure your table is square to the blade and make sure you don’t apply lateral pressure to the blade when cutting curves as this will make a slight bevel on the pice and make it hard to slip together.

1 hour ago, dgman said:

Great looking puzzles! When cutting tray puzzles, it’s best to use a thicker blade like a #5 or 7. It is important to make sure your table is square to the blade and make sure you don’t apply lateral pressure to the blade when cutting curves as this will make a slight bevel on the pice and make it hard to slip together.

Blade being perpendicular isn't a huge problem for me with 3/4" stock, but I sometimes cut tree puzzles from 1 1/2" oak or 2" Cypress and then it is critical. My fit problem comes with the aniline dye being 20% water so it raises the grain. No kerf problems when I use 2/0 spiral blades but I like the tighter fit with straight blades. I don't cut a lot of puzzles but when I do I'll cut for a few days and then putz with finishing for a few days and by then, I'm back to spirals and fretwork. I can't imagine cutting to sell and doing hundreds of puzzles. I admire the people who have the discipline to churn those things out day after day. 

15 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Those are cool puzzles.  I like the vibrant colors.  Never tried any dye except a little when making pens.  The I used food coloring.

I opted for aniline dye because with 80% alcohol I hoped to avoid raising the grain as much as food coloring. Still raises the grain but hey, I could drink the leftovers.  lol

3 hours ago, barb.j.enders said:

Beautiful puzzles,  love the colours on the first puzzle.

Thank you. Funny thing is the 1st one was the last one I did. Football game was starting and I was in a hurry so I put 3 primary colors into a mixing tray and created the colors on the fly with little planning. I guess it pays not to over think things sometimes. 

4 hours ago, Charlie E said:

Great job on all of those! I love the cat. I use Folkart Ultra Dye which comes in some great colors but is water based also and raises the grain. As far as I can tell there isn't anything considered child safe that isn't water based so I guess there's no way around it. 

I believe the alcohol/water mix I use may be safe because I would imagine the alcohol has evaporated once dry. (operative word here is "think".) Problem is, it still raises the grain. Just drys faster.  I've read that all finishes sold in the US are non toxic once cured.  I would feel safer if some of the people who sell puzzles etc. here in the Village would shed some light on that subject.