Shop vac filters

Wilson142

Is anyone running a HEPA filter in their shop vac? I needed to replace my filter and thought, why not go with a better filter. I ordered a washable HEPA so I wouldn't have to buy new ones quite as often. My vac is in an adjoining closet and the hose runs through the wall, so noise isn't a problem. I don't run it all the time and bought a remote on/off control so I only use it when needed. I'll have to modify my vac a bit so the filter will fit my vac, but now I'm wondering if I'll spend more time cleaning my filter to maintain suction than I will sawing.

41 minutes ago, Wilson142 said:

Is anyone running a HEPA filter in their shop vac? I needed to replace my filter and thought, why not go with a better filter. I ordered a washable HEPA so I wouldn't have to buy new ones quite as often. My vac is in an adjoining closet and the hose runs through the wall, so noise isn't a problem. I don't run it all the time and bought a remote on/off control so I only use it when needed. I'll have to modify my vac a bit so the filter will fit my vac, but now I'm wondering if I'll spend more time cleaning my filter to maintain suction than I will sawing.

The Hepa filter should come with a foam sleeve pre-filter. the foam sleeve will catch most of the big stuff and the Hepa catches the small stuff. Rinse them both with water after shaking, knocking off the majority of the debis. Allow the filter to dry overnight.

I have run a HEPA filter on my Rigid shop vac for several years.  I have to clean it as often as I did the original filter as far as blowing it out, but I don't wash it each time.  I kept the original filter and I use it when I do wash the HEPA and have to wait for it to dry.

Interesting, mind did not come with a foam sleeve. 

Edited by Scrappile

45 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

I have run a HEPA filter on my Rigid shop vac for several years.  I have to clean it as often as I did the original filter as far as blowing it out, but I don't wash it each time.  I kept the original filter and I use it when I do wash the HEPA and have to wait for it to dry.

Interesting, mind did not come with a foam sleeve. 

I have a foam sleeve but no prefilter. I guess I could try to use my NEW air compressor to speed the drying.  I have a New compressor because last week I pulled my little extremely noisy Harbor Freight pancake compressor out of the shop and put it next to my car. Was going to air my tires and use my nailer  to replace some trim on my house. Things got hectic and I decided to put it off for the next day. Sometime during the night it seems to have sprouted legs and run off. And I live in a gated security with a guard at the gate. Go figure. Anyway, I bought another little hot dog compressor from Amazon. Don't remember the name off hand and it's in my shop right now. Cool thing is it is only 61 dbs. You start it up and can hold a conversation at the same time. Not a power house but for nail/staples etc. Sounds quieter than my oscillating floor fan on the high setting.  Should have had that pancake stolen sooner. LOL

(Off topic, but had to vent.  lol)