Dewalt knocking

Jim McDonald

My Dewalt developed a knock when under load ,  done a complete grease up of all points, I did find the sleeve on the bearing just out from the motor  pitman drive had signs of wear. Every bearing took a lot grease, changed the sleeve still knocked . Probably should have changed the bearing as well. Have used now some 8 months, knock has got any worse, but did push me to buy a knew machine but "Old Yeller" still does a good job and is  my machine for dog puzzles.

It can be a couple of things but the most common one is the tension rod hitting the cover over it. There are a couple of things to do to fix it. The best thing I can suggest is to visit scrollsaw.com. There is a lot of info there regarding the 788. Everything that goes with the 788's has a fairly easy fix. If you have already had the side cover off you are inclined enough mechanically to perform most all the repairs. If I can be of help please feel free to PM me. Good luck.

My Delta is basically the same machine, different color.  The connecting rod is connected to the motor shaft on one end & a rocker arm on the other.  The bolt broke in the rocker arm.  It split in the middle of the sleeve & wasn't visible until I took it out.  If you have it out, take the bolt to any hardware store and replace it with stainless steel, which is much harder.

Stupid design error.  That one bolt carries the full load of the machine.  Replaced it years ago & that cured mine.  When you Dewalt owners have yours apart, replace your bolt also.

jerry

5 hours ago, Jim McDonald said:

I gave up and just sent to DeWalt this morning.  No shiny metal, everything looked greasy, nothing obviously broken...

Did you go to Scrollsaws.com? There is the info there to fix what is wrong. It's not difficult if you own a file and a torx screwdriver set. Might take the better part of an hour.