First Stack Cut!

OzarkSawdust

Also the Pegas blade did not wander at all!! It just followed the line wherever I pointed it, and was easy to make the few sharp turns also.

I found that to be true too, the pegas #3 is my goto blade

When I make ornaments and puzzles, I dip the item in Watco oil finish, let it dry on a paper towel and wipe off the excess.

SS-2019-09-27_06.00.06.jpg

Nice work on the cutting... I might have t hire you for production work soon :).. Yeah that outside cut sometimes does seem to take a while.. especially the circular ones. .. I almost always put in a brand new fresh blade with cutting that outside portion...  even if the blade in the saw isn't dull yet... for one it helps speed up the cut since you're not getting half way through the cut and now the blade is getting dull.. but also a good sharp blade helps keep you from pushing too hard on a dull blade and making the blade flex and throws you off coarse..

I dip the ornaments in Danish oil as Jim mentioned.. In the cold Michigan winters where the Danish oil takes a long time to dry out.. I use my own mixture finish.. see video below I apply this with a acid brush as it has stiff bristles and you get get the wax down into the smaller cutouts .. let it set for a hour or so then heat it with a hair-drier or heat gun to melt off the excess and wide with a paper towel..

4 hours ago, JimErn said:

Also the Pegas blade did not wander at all!! It just followed the line wherever I pointed it, and was easy to make the few sharp turns also.

I found that to be true too, the pegas #3 is my goto blade

When I make ornaments and puzzles, I dip the item in Watco oil finish, let it dry on a paper towel and wipe off the excess.

SS-2019-09-27_06.00.06.jpg

Sounds good. You and Kevin both mentioned "dip" in Danish Oil. Does that actually involve poring into a container and dipping the ornament into it? That would get all the little nooks covered, then pour any leftover back in the can till next time? 

I really liked the feel of the Pegas blade. They didn't have any #3...so I got #5. I also got a pack of #2/0 spiral...when I'm feeling crazy I'll try them, and make designer firewood 🤣

Edited by OzarkSawdust

OK, now that you have that out of the way, it's off to the races, right?  

I've been cutting Christmas ornaments for 25+ years, giving dozens away every year to friends and family.  I gave away over 100 last year.  For those kinds of quantities, I've found that spraying is the most efficient method of applying a finish.  I use shellac, because of the low odor and fast drying time.  I can generally get all of my ornaments sprayed with 2-3 coats, (both sides) in one full day (maybe 10 hours).    I've dipped in oil before and while I like it, I don't do it very often.  For me, it's messier and more time consuming.     YMMV

Yes you pour Danish oil into a container and then just dip the ornaments into the oil.. let sit in there a few minutes then take out and wipe excess off.. pour leftover back into can..

I've been planning to build a drying station for the ornaments so they can drip dry.. Thinking along the lines of something similar to a cloths line with a rain gutter section to catch the drips.. Hang the ornament with some metal hooks let drip dry and the gutter catch the drips.. 

6 hours ago, OzarkSawdust said:

Sounds good. You and Kevin both mentioned "dip" in Danish Oil. Does that actually involve poring into a container and dipping the ornament into it? That would get all the little nooks covered, then pour any leftover back in the can till next time? 

I really liked the feel of the Pegas blade. They didn't have any #3...so I got #5. I also got a pack of #2/0 spiral...when I'm feeling crazy I'll try them, and make designer firewood 🤣

Yes, I pour out the oil into a tray, those flimsy tin trays you find in the dollar store, smaller version like what you put a turkey in for the oven

when done I pour the remainder back in the can using a funnel and piece of cloth or paper towel as a filter.  Wipe out the tray with a paper towel.  I use  a marker on the tray to tell me what oil I used, natural, oak, etc, probably overkill but I don't want to mix oils by using the same tray over and over.

I try spirals every now and then, but since I don't use them a lot, I might as well not. so far flat blades have done everything I want to do.

4 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Yes you pour Danish oil into a container and then just dip the ornaments into the oil.. let sit in there a few minutes then take out and wipe excess off.. pour leftover back into can..

I've been planning to build a drying station for the ornaments so they can drip dry.. Thinking along the lines of something similar to a cloths line with a rain gutter section to catch the drips.. Hang the ornament with some metal hooks let drip dry and the gutter catch the drips.. 

Thanks for the info!! Hey that cloths line idea just might work!

1 hour ago, JimErn said:

Yes, I pour out the oil into a tray, those flimsy tin trays you find in the dollar store, smaller version like what you put a turkey in for the oven

when done I pour the remainder back in the can using a funnel and piece of cloth or paper towel as a filter.  Wipe out the tray with a paper towel.  I use  a marker on the tray to tell me what oil I used, natural, oak, etc, probably overkill but I don't want to mix oils by using the same tray over and over.

I try spirals every now and then, but since I don't use them a lot, I might as well not. so far flat blades have done everything I want to do.

Thanks Jim! I'll try that with the ones I cut last night, I got some Watco Danish Oil today.

Don't know if I'll have much luck with spirals, or at least at this time, but I want to try everything. Then I'll see what I like to do and what I have a knack for and lean in that direction. There are a thousand things you can do and make with a scroll saw. I have to be good at a few of them...🤣🤣  

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/27/2019 at 7:15 AM, kmmcrafts said:

I use my own mixture finish.. see video below I apply this with a acid brush as it has stiff bristles and you get get the wax down into the smaller cutouts .. let it set for a hour or so then heat it with a hair-drier or heat gun to melt off the excess and wide with a paper towel..

To safely heat your oil / wax mix use a double broiler.

Mineral oil can be had for around $2 a pint at Walmart in the pharmacy section.