Well I turned 50 and my wife surprised me!

Dad_Tech77

After using deltas and Chinese saws I finally traded(some of my beginning intarsias) for a Dewalt. I got her home plugged it in flipped the switch and waited for the noise to begin. There was none. I couldn't believe my ears .Such a quite saw and since then I bought a dozen on Craigs list one at a time .got to have back up's, lol. That magnifier is perfect for cutting coins but regular fret work it slows me down as I tend to not stay dead center on the lines and the mag shows me this. you'll love the creature comforts of the Dewalt. Rarely do i go over 5 on the speed dial and 1.5 on the blade tension. ENJOY!!!

Congratulations...  You have a thoughtful wife.   My wife bought me a Craftsman scroll saw on one of our early Christmas'.  It was the worst saw I had ever seen in my life, but I used it for many years and never told her how bad it was,,, it was the thought of her doing it that was important to me...  Hey, we just celebrated 52 years together a couple days ago...

17 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Congratulations...  You have a thoughtful wife.   My wife bought me a Craftsman scroll saw on one of our early Christmas'.  It was the worst saw I had ever seen in my life, but I used it for many years and never told her how bad it was,,, it was the thought of her doing it that was important to me...  Hey, we just celebrated 52 years together a couple days ago...

Aww congratulations to you both and sharing your story 😉

5 hours ago, wombatie said:

It's men that don't listen not women.  ;):lol:  Congratulations and happy birthday.

Marg

Say what??? HAHA.....I grew up with 4 older sisters, no brothers, and they beat me my entire life on how to treat women.....so I will be back soon...have to throw in a load of laundry and do the dishes.... 😉 Thank you too!!

17 hours ago, amazingkevin said:

After using deltas and Chinese saws I finally traded(some of my beginning intarsias) for a Dewalt. I got her home plugged it in flipped the switch and waited for the noise to begin. There was none. I couldn't believe my ears .Such a quite saw and since then I bought a dozen on Craigs list one at a time .got to have back up's, lol. That magnifier is perfect for cutting coins but regular fret work it slows me down as I tend to not stay dead center on the lines and the mag shows me this. you'll love the creature comforts of the Dewalt. Rarely do i go over 5 on the speed dial and 1.5 on the blade tension. ENJOY!!!

Thank you sir....appreciate it....can you suggest maintenance for the table? Do you put a wax on it? Although I have been scrolling for years, I am not that great on keeping them clean....any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated 😉

3 hours ago, Dad_Tech77 said:

Thank you sir....appreciate it....can you suggest maintenance for the table? Do you put a wax on it? Although I have been scrolling for years, I am not that great on keeping them clean....any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated 😉

Wipe it down with paint thinner, then brush with a wire brush to remove any rust or discoloration, wipe with clean rag to remove any bristles and then apply two coats of Johnson's paste wax (yellow can from home cleaning department) about an hour apart.  Then recoat about every month or so.

Your table will be slick and nothing will transfer to your work to interfere with finishes.  DO NOT use car waxes or silicone treatments.

17 hours ago, wombatie said:

It's men that don't listen not women.  ;):lol:  Congratulations and happy birthday.

Marg

Marg.  I listen to my wife when she tells me things. The problem I have is when she asks me to do a chores, she thinks I didn't hear her and asks me again and again. I guess she just does not listen to me as I reply each time she asks the same thing of me, that I heard her the first time. She doesn't seem to get it as she continues to ask me again every six months

Dick

heppnerguy

On 10/10/2019 at 8:49 AM, Jim McDonald said:

Wipe it down with paint thinner, then brush with a wire brush to remove any rust or discoloration, wipe with clean rag to remove any bristles and then apply two coats of Johnson's paste wax (yellow can from home cleaning department) about an hour apart.  Then recoat about every month or so.

Your table will be slick and nothing will transfer to your work to interfere with finishes.  DO NOT use car waxes or silicone treatments.

Thank you sir very much for the details....will look for this paste. Appreciate it!!

Greetings all...

Almost seven years ago I stumbled upon scroll sawing on YouTube and thought, hmm... that looks like fun.  I started doing some research on saws and decided that the DeWalt would be a good choice.  It had mostly great reviews and was somewhat affordable.  I realized that I was taking a chance by spending that amount of money on something that I may not like as a hobby but I fell in love with scrolling and am happy that I did pull the trigger on it.

Once I got it I then started watching “how to” videos about the saw.  The first accessory I quickly got was a foot switch.  In a couple of videos, I was told that the saw may be prone to getting fine dust in the saw’s on/off switch and possibly causing the switch to fail.  Apparently, a good way to avoid this would be to cover the switch with tape to keep the dust out.  I figured, what the hey,  why take any chances?

I’m still in love with my saw, it’s been a real work horse.  Now that the winter weather is on the way, I’ll be spending a lot more time scrolling again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2019 at 6:39 AM, Dad_Tech77 said:

Hello All

Sorry if this is not the correct forum but I am too excited and wanted to share.....well she finally did something right after 23yrs of marriage!! And I am kidding as she gave me two beautiful daughters. She surprised me with a new Dewalt DW788 and LED Magnifying light for my birthday. I have been using my 20+yo Delta 16in and really had no issues and I had mentioned a year or so that this was my dream scrollsaw to have....raising two girls is expensive and I can't believe she was even listening to me 😉

I just finished setting it up and need to get used to it but any tips or tricks would be appreciated.....I am wondering why she bought me the LED Magnifying light? I guess she is telling me something HAHA

Thank you all....hope you have been well!
Ed

get a set of the lever type pegas blade clamps. i put them on my dewalt about a year ago and love them