another box....

mikesscrollsaw

here is another box I just finished. red oak (I think) and with leopard wood on the corners, lid knob and inlay letters for the top. the bottom inside of the box is a piece of black walnut.

seems like after I made one just for fun, everyone wants one now.

Does anyone have a trick for not seeing the blade entry hole for the inlay? I've tried several things but nothing consistently gets rid of the hole.

Copyofashleighbox009.jpg

Copyofashleighbox007.jpg

Copyofashleighbox013.jpg

Copyofashleighbox012.jpg

Copyofashleighbox008.jpg

I see some holes but how did you do this,the letters fit like a glove.That's incredible work!I'd love to do work like this but have no idea how to make things fit that tight,that's some majic you have.You guy's know all the tricks ,come on own up how did you doit.I took a deep breath thinking about this. :)

Scrollsaw magazine gets the credit, i just followed the instructions....

Lay the dark wood on top of the light wood (wood to be inserted on top)

Tape them together.

The table is offset about 2 degrees right side down, cut it counter clockwise

The top pieces will fit snuggly into the bottom

To figure out the angle you need to use some scrap of the same thickness, make a practice cut to see if the table angle is correct, very small changes in angle make large changes in fit

I start out at 2 degrees, then adjust from there, more angle is a tighter fit less angle looser fit. This is for 1/4 inch thick wood.

I dont think blade size matters much, i try to use the smallest possible so i have a smaller start hole. FD UR #3 is what i used.

Very nice project Mike :thumbs: ..thanks for sharing...only tip I have for the holes is to hide them a little with white glue and some sawdust from the project..make a paste and rub it in where the hole is...takes the eye away from the look of a round hole....I tried it on my first inlaid project like this..hope this helps...

I thought so, since it was an inlay it was oak and purple heart stacked and cut at the same time each piece 1/4 inch thick

I've got alot of small pieces of these exotics laying around. To use them I glued multiple pieces together then planed it down. Most is so small it's almost firewood but I hate to burn em if I can use it so I've been holding on to them for a while now.