Blade Storage Question

oldhudson

I never used the holes on the saw.  I sit in front of the saw and to see which blades are in the tubes in those slot/holes I would have to get up or lean way over.  At my age, I don't like to lean way over,,, been known to end up on my face.  I use the cheap plastic test tubes from Ebay, and a cheap plastic test tube holder from Ebay also.  It sits next to my saw so I can easily reach it.  The test tube that holds the blades I am currently using lays in a little holder on the saw stand.

I just got a new Pegas and it has holes in the lower part of the frame.  I do use them all.  I have the most used FD blades on one side and the Pegas blades on the other in clear plastic tubes so I can see when to reorder.  The rest are also in tubes in a stand that I made myself...  Works for me.

1 hour ago, Dee said:

I just got a new Pegas and it has holes in the lower part of the frame.  I do use them all.  I have the most used FD blades on one side and the Pegas blades on the other in clear plastic tubes so I can see when to reorder.  The rest are also in tubes in a stand that I made myself...  Works for me.

Ah that's why everyone using the clear plastic - you can inventory your stash. I couldn't do that with pex - silly me.

1 hour ago, oldhudson said:

Ah that's why everyone using the clear plastic - you can inventory your stash. I couldn't do that with pex - silly me.

Not so silly. Before I had even thought of scroll saws I used PVC to store my blades for my piercing saws. Here is where I learned about the plastic tubes.

I originally had a plastic tube storage rack with tubes that I bought from maybe sloans? Anyway it has worked great for me over the last 15 years.. When I got the Excalibur with the storage tube slots in the base the tubes I had was too big in diameter to fit the slots.. So I ordered these tubes and they fit snug but perfectly. kinda wish I had bought more of them as they are actually better quality tubes that what came with my storage system I bought years ago.. heavier plastic.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pack-16-x-150-mm-Clear-Plastic-Test-Tubes-with-Blue-Caps-6-Inch/381314545375?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Anyway as for organization.. I thought it was quite simple to keep track if I bundled them together.. Right side is Pegas MG.. Left side is FD-UR.. I put them in order smaller blades to the front and larger to the back.. since #3 and 5's are my more used blades #3 is the first slot then 5.. the back most slots are my less used blades ( spirals ).. After having these set up right on the saw.. I do not like the storage station thing I bought years ago.. but I do still use it since the Hawks do not have any storage slots.. Getting to like that Excalibur a whole lot these days now that I actually have it running as it should.. 

I have a cheap dymo label writer machine that I made stickers for the blade types and sizes to stick to the storage tubes.. but my old storage unit I just rolled up the labels that came with the blades and stuck them down into the tubes in a way that the size info was visible..    

I bought a 60 tube/rack system from Amazon for about $18. What I found was that I couldn't see any of the tubes except the front row. I also have too many brands/types of blades. I'm going to make a storage rack that will have 2 rows of holes with the back row being elevated enough to see it. Most of the blades that I have will never get used as I have pretty much decided that Pegas MGT will fill my needs. I will probably donate the other blades to a club or school. I am a fish when it comes to buying blades. If someone raves about a blade, I order some. But now I have a bunch that I will never use. I also inherited a bunch of PS Woods that were highly recommended by some folks and I was excited about. But I don't find that they work all that great. Especially at the price they get for them.

I bought 2 packs of plastic tubes of 25 each. 49 are filled. When I started I was buying everything. I have 3 tube racks. Now I only use a small 10 tube rack with 2 empty holes. The other 8 are for my pegas blades. The rest are sitting back on a shelf. When I bought the second Hegner it came with a lot of blades in 2 storage boxes. The blades are huge. Had to be good for cutting fence posts. 

6 hours ago, Scrappile said:

@octoolguy I have probably the same tube holder and I only use 3 rows.   An empty row between..  Makes it easier to get the tubes in and out, I can pull a tube only part way out and see how the tube is labeled.  If you have more than 30 different blades,,,, you have a blade fetish.....!🤨🙄

As I said.....