Best scroll saw for under $200

Dennis51

Welcome to the scroll saw village..

Just my opinion.. I'd watch for a good used higher end saw if my budget was $200.. Not much out there for good quality saws in that price range.. but many locations have good used higher end saws.. just watch craigslist and FB marketplace for scroll saws.. Ebay as well.. second hand stores etc.. 

Not sure what the price of this one will end up at but might be worth keeping an eye on it.. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Delta-20-Variable-Speed-Scroll-Saw-40-694/362778850512?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

When I got back into woodworking about 5 years ago, I bought a new Porter Cable Scroll Saw.  I made some decent stuff with it.  Only reason why I stepped up to a Dewalt is because the PC started to make a noise every now and then.  At the time it was $179.  I know that a few others on here had a Porter Cable in the past. 

On 10/13/2019 at 6:24 PM, flarud said:

When I got back into woodworking about 5 years ago, I bought a new Porter Cable Scroll Saw.  I made some decent stuff with it.  Only reason why I stepped up to a Dewalt is because the PC started to make a noise every now and then.  At the time it was $179.  I know that a few others on here had a Porter Cable in the past. 

i still use it as my back up saw. its 3 years old and still works fine. ive had many different cheaper saws and it is the easiest blade change. i can change blades almost as fast as i can on my dewalt

If I tell you that my scroll saw  was under 50 Eur everybody will laugh.But,you have to know that is not only about the tool,it is more about your skills with that tool.Of course I would like an Excalibur or a Hegner but... I work with this scroll saw from more than 10 years,I did cut metal,plexiglass,plywood,hard wood soft wood,vinyl disc ...my fingers :) I changed the clamps in the first days after I buy it,pin blade is not an option for me.

A photo with a scroll saw like mine;

Dekupiersäge -King-CRAFT-KFZ-400R -Laubsäge-für.jpg

Edited by epson

On 10/13/2019 at 8:03 AM, Dennis51 said:

I think my Ridgid scroll saw is on the way out. Can anyone recommend a decent scroll saw for under $200?

Thanks

Dennis

in your post from kkmcrafts, he sent a link. I noticed in the link they were advertising REFURBISHED ones for $250. Hey for anoher $50 you can get a like new saw. I think I would give that a lot of consideration, if it was me

Dick

heppnerguy

Yeah the Delta is a decent saw.. and I see them all the time for $250-300.. Refurbished at $250 and many times brand new on sale at Home Depot or Amazon etc.. for 299.99  Not a bad price and their much like the DeWalt.. Quite a step up from anything else you're going to find in that price range for a new or newer saw... If you wait it out some though deals can be had on good used saws.. My first Hawk 220VS from Craigslist was a $100..I did put a lot of money into it.. but 95% of it was optional things like the adjustable air blower hose and extra blade holders etc etc..Only thing it "really" needed was the front tension cam as the one was worn out.. I upgraded so paid a little extra $50 for the new style one that's adjustable.. Too bad you're not close to Michigan.. I'd consider making a deal on that one..as I rarely use it since I got the other two bigger Hawks and the Excalibur

https://www.ebay.com/p/2254908595?iid=303308009023

The Excalibur that is on Craigslist linked above is a pretty awesome deal too if you can come up with a few extra $$.. Heck he may even come down on price or do some trading.. 

Edited by kmmcrafts

I didn't look at what part of NY this is in and not knowing what part of NJ you're at.. if not too far this could be worth the drive.. This is a newer model Hawk Ultra.. looks to be in nice shape.. $80 starting bid and no bids.. Ends in about an hour though.. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hawk-Model-220VS-Scroll-Saw/264495758884?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649