Best scroll saw for under $200

Dennis51

31 minutes ago, Rolf said:

Tony I may have to check out that 16 Inch EX on LI I have sent the the guy a message. Any of you have a 16"? It would be a good travel saw for me. Getting my Hawk out of the basement is getting harder all the time.

I don't own the 16" but do have the China made EX-21.. and after taking the whole thing apart and basically going through the whole saw.. I got it working as the other Excalibur owners have experienced... they are awesome saws.. I fine tuned the motor adjustment etc and it cuts much like my Hawk does now.. The Pegas blade chucks make a world of difference for my saw.. but being mine was made in China.. and from what others have said.. I suspect my saw had a defective upper blade chuck.. so maybe the OEM clamps aren't too bad if you get a good set.. Don't matter anyhow as this saw has the Pegas clamps on it already.. that's an upgrade there.. That's an awesome deal.

It ends up that the person selling the saw is a member of our club and he will bring it to our meeting Tuesday. I will probably buy it.  I asked why he is selling it. He decided he wanted a 21" so he bought the Pegas 21inch. That is a great price with very low usage.  I will just need a stand which is a non issue.

Tony thanks again for the heads up on that 16 inch Excalibur. I got it last night.  It is still in my Jeep as it was raining heavily when I got home. 

I have been wanting the 16 " for some time but did not want to spend $700 for a new saw. 

I now have max flexibility, The Hawk G4 26 (will always be my favorite saw) and for angle cuts  and inlays the EX where the table stays level. 

10 hours ago, Rolf said:

Tony thanks again for the heads up on that 16 inch Excalibur. I got it last night.  It is still in my Jeep as it was raining heavily when I got home. 

I have been wanting the 16 " for some time but did not want to spend $700 for a new saw. 

I now have max flexibility, The Hawk G4 26 (will always be my favorite saw) and for angle cuts  and inlays the EX where the table stays level. 

It will be interesting to see how you feel about the EX after using it for a while. I know you love and are comfortable with your Hawk but the EX is so smooth and easy to work with. Please keep us updated on how you fare.

I spent the day yesterday modifying my old Delta SS-350 stand to put the EX on. 

I did run a bit of scrap through it just to check for vibration stroke. I am looking forward to doing a real project.

I have never used an EX for more than a couple of minutes, I did however use a Dewalt a couple of times and never liked their clamp assembly. I am really impressed with the Pegas clamp upgrade. What a beautiful and precise bit of engineering. 

I will cut some today, but my first impression from cutting the scrap yesterday was a very positive one.  It is a dramatic change from having the 26" arms of my Hawk going up and down compared to the little stumps of the EX.  The saw is already adjusted for a very vertical stroke. 

I will post a couple of pictures and a review in a new post later, I have already hijacked this thread enough.

My apologies to Dennis for the hijack.

I will add this getting back to the original posting. I would highly recommend looking for a used higher end saw. 

An inexpensive entry level saw will cut your projects depending of course on your skills. That said a better engineered saw (higher priced) eliminates many little frustrations and time fiddling with tension etc. and gives you more control so that your time is spent on your project not the saw.

Edited by Rolf